Software vs Hardware RAIDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xxMacAttackxx, Apr 15, 2009.

1. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I have a 2.93 Ghz quad Mac pro arriving this friday, I also ordered, 2 300Gb Velociraptors, and a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda, the machine also has the 1Tb drive in the machine already.

I plan on putting the two Raptors in Raid 0, then use the 1TB drive for Windows, and Storage, and the 1.5 TB drive for Time Machine.

I use CS4 pretty heavily, as well as Final Cut Studio, although not as much as CS4. I am also a moderate Aperture user (its open most of the time).

Would you say its worth the money to buy the RAID card, or will a Software raid suite me ok? Is there a HUGE difference in performance?

Thanks for the help

2. ZunePod macrumors regular

I'm not proficient in this area, but when your ordering your Mac Pro from Apple.com, it says that you HAVE to use the RAID card if you wish to have multiple HDDs

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You need the RAID card if you want the benefits of hardware RAID, to use RAID 5 or if you want to use SAS drives.

xxMacAttackxx, I wouldn't bother with the hardware RAID card.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

No it doesn't.

It says: "Enhance data protection and storage performance by configuring your system with the Mac Pro RAID Card and multiple hard drives."

In other words, you can have multiple hard drives without the RAID card, but you shouldn't use the RAID card unless you have multiple drives (because it would obviously serve no purpose.)

5. cmaier macrumors G3

Based on the OP's drive configuration it doesn't look like he intend sto use RAID 5, and none of the drives are SAS.

So the primary advantage of hardware RAID would be slightly increased speed.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Unless the OP is planning to do serious work on the machine and combine all four drives into a single array (at least three for RAID5), installing a RAIDcard to surf the internet would be a complete waste of money - if you get what i mean! ;)

Besides, every single RAID card that Apple has ever release are slow performers, compared to after market products (OK, so few are compatible with the MP'09... but they'll come, just takes time)..

7. xxMacAttackxx thread starter macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx