Software wanted for creating emagazines

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thedevilmaycry, Jan 12, 2010.

1. thedevilmaycry macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    I am looking for a software with which I can create rich media emagazines and ebooks. Anybody has a hint?
    Thanks in advance.

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Can you describe a little more about what you're wanting to do? Are you wanting this for display on web only, or for e-readers like Kindle, or with other specific apps?

For web only, you could try a CMS (Content Management System) that allows you to really get in and cusomize the look and feel of the site, as well as easily update your content when the site customization is complete.

Sorry if I'm off track here.

3. thedevilmaycry thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello
    actually I intend doing both (maybe with a focus on ebook readers and the soon coming iSlate/ iTablet or whatever it might be called).
    My intention is to rework (printed) brochures and corporate magazines, convert them into emagazines and add some interaction possibilities (movies, sound, etc). Preferably I end up with one file that can be read on Kindle or the iSlate and/or be sent via email. Any idea?
    Thank you.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I wish I did. I really haven't gotten into that side of the sfotware scene. I couldn't even tell you what format the ebooks and emagazines that are delivered on specific devices are in.

But I found this here about the Kindle...I would hope that Apple's potential new device would hanlde PDF just fine as well as the EPUB mentioned in the article section below.

This is from the Kindle Wikipedia entry:

Maybe that will help...and it looks like PDF is now supported, and with apple, you can preety much print anything to PDF through the print daemon.

There are tons of Layout programs, but a good free one is Inkscape...not the greatest on the market, but combined with Word or some other Document formatter, it does well.

Also, there is Scribus...lots of people like it, I've always had a hard time getting it to run...but it's probably just me.

Hope this helps a little,

Brian

5. thedevilmaycry thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that Wikipedia article but thanks for the effort Brian. Yes, PDF should work, but actually I was looking for some more interaction and multimedia possibilities. Guess I have to keep on looking.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Sorry...wish I could've helped more.