Software Won't Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by liquidtension89, Apr 2, 2012.

1. liquidtension89 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to update the software on my Mom's iMac (I trusted that she could do this on her own. She said she clicks, "Not now" every time. She's had this computer just about a year. Lots to update.) Every time I try to update her software, it prompts me to restart, I click restart, the screen acts like that's what it's doing, and then it goes to her login screen. If I login, it's just a regular login. If I choose to restart from that menu, it restarts like normal. The software never updates. I never get the grey screen with the progress bar. I don't know what's going on. I've never had this problem. Help?

Please?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried manually downloading and installing the updates?

3. Spike88, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps your mom has 2 different user accounts on her iMac? One account has Administrator rights and a different account only has general user rights. And, she only logins in with the general user account (which doesn't allow system updates). Something to investigate?

4. liquidtension89, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

liquidtension89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I noticed that the Software Installer itself needed to update. I unchecked everything but that and it quickly installed (completely bypassing the login screen as expected). I'm going to try updating everything else now. I'll be back with the results (as it's very annoying when people don't report back when they solve an issue).

----------

UPDATE: Didn't work. It went straight to login again. I'll try doing some of the bigger, more important things first, like OSX Firmware.

UPDATE: Installed OSX Firmware and a Security Update at the same time. Worked fine. Now I'll try everything else all at once. These are less important things such as iPhoto, Safari, iTunes, etc.

UPDATE: SOLVED. I was able to install the other 10 items at once after installing the bigger, more important things first.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good that you got them installed. Thanks for the followup.