Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Showie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Hello,
I'm trying to download Epi data software on my Mac from a flashdrive and it wont open. The software description says its made for Windows but it works for MAC computers based on emulation and on LINUX versions based on WINE. I have no clue what any of this means what can I do to open this software on my mac?

Thanks

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Hello,
The software description says its made for Windows but it works for MAC computers based on emulation and on LINUX versions based on WINE.

You need a Windows emulator on your Mac to run this software, then. Either a full-fledged virtualized Windows environment through VMware, Parallels, or that free one whose name escapes me at the moment, or a WINE-like emulator such as CrossOver.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Silencio nailed what you need, go with one of those. Long story short, nothing that is free, since you either need a software that costs money or a free software with a Windows license, which costs money.

In other words, you fell prey to somewhat shady advertising. What they advertised is similar to saying that I can speak Korean (which I can't): if you run my English through enough filters and translators, eventually it will work. But the software was absolutely ONLY written for Windows. You may want to try to find a Mac equivalent that is actually written for a Mac if you don't want to mess around with virtualization and its hassles / costs.

Oh, and Consultant: this is a fair thread. It is unique and is asking a fair and interesting question. The OP is obviously pretty new and does not know what emulation refers to. Sure he could have googled it, but this is a very interesting example of some extremely shady ways of advertising "Mac Compatibility"

pikester

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Darwine

If it runs under Linux/Wine, you may want to try Darwine to run it:
http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/

Darwine is used to run Windows software on the Mac without the need for a copy of Windows or virtualization. There is the free solution for everyone.

Showie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Virtual Box

If I wanted to download Virtual Box for my MAC just to use a certain program how does that all work? I've looked at Parallels and Virtual Box seems very different. Is there a difference between the two? Also if I download virtual box would it compromise any programs on my system at all such as causing other applications to run slow or change my configuration for any other programs?

Thanks

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
If I wanted to download Virtual Box for my MAC just to use a certain program how does that all work? I've looked at Parallels and Virtual Box seems very different. Is there a difference between the two? Also if I download virtual box would it compromise any programs on my system at all such as causing other applications to run slow or change my configuration for any other programs?

Thanks

It should not change anything. It will obviously make things run slower when you are using it since it will be using a considerable amount of your RAM and CPU, but no, it should not effect anything other than that.

I have not used virtual box at all, only parallels, so I cannot really comment on their differences...

[EDIT] I would probably check out Darwine before I would fiddle with Virtual Box for the program you are looking at running. The program looks relatively "simple", and if it is advertised to work with Wine, this might be your best, cheapest, least resource-hungry option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.