Software you would like to see

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peeaanuut, Jan 11, 2008.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have seen a few posts about features and such but what about software that you would like to see with the upcoming SDK being available. Here are a few that I would like to see:

1. E-Book reader - Either pdf or some other text form. Something with auto scrolling would be nice
    2. Runners Log/Workout Log - I had one on my Treo and loved it. It didnt have a desktop app to go with it but that would be nice too
    3. Financial software - I probably wouldnt use it as a checkbook log but definately for my non main accounts. (401k, money market, brokerage, etc)
    4. Car Log - Something to log mainetance, repairs, gas, mileage, etc\
    5. Keynote/Powerpoint presenter
    6. Document viewer - Maybe something from Documents To Go

Anything else from anyone?

2. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Games. Music lyrics. Checkbook. Flash support. PDF support.

3. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

4. twilightpress20 macrumors newbie

1. Powerpoint
    2. Documents To Go

Would be nice!:D

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

6. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

I forgot about a slingbox viewer. It might prompt me to actually buy one. I wonder how that would go on edge though. I have never used a mobile viewer so is edge fast enough or would we have to wait for a 3g model?

7. ahand macrumors member

8. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

I chat would be nice to see. Also a voice/audio recorder. Or at least the ability to use the one from xtrememac. Unless you already can.

9. docprego macrumors 65816

1-App that uses the camera to scan a UPC and provide details about the product. Imagine walking through Best Buy and seeing a product that interests you. The information tag on the product has a few tidbits. Scan it and instantly you are shown a page with detailed specs. The possibilities on this one are mind boggling. If the iPhone knows where you are it could offer you the option to see it on the store's site that you are currently in. Or it could offer you many other options such as looking it up on Amazon or your preferred site. It could look it up on Epinions, or simply pass the translated model number to Google. Another option would be to look it up on a price search engine.

2-Netflix streaming client or even better Blockbuster (because I am a BB member). But being that Netflix already offers streaming movies. an iPhone client is all that would be required.

3-Playstation 3 connectivity via Bluetooth or Wifi. I am not sure exactly what features I would like to see implemented but there must be some terrific ways these 2 could work together. Streaming video comes to mind.

4-Scrabble. This game is perfect for a touch screen device.

5-1password

6-Adium

There's more but those are my big ones.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

thats a cool idea, have you ever used delicious library because they have a scanner for the isight

11. SRSound macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Native iChat client

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oooh, I know! I never thought it was all that handy on my Macs, but there've been distinct times when I'd have benefited from having it on my iPhone.

Yeah, although, to be fair, I don't really mind using the web -based client ones if need be.

I'm so lame, there must have been something I was thinking about adding but just totally blank right now. :eek:

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

3. Sony would never allow that. The PSP serves this purpose.

14. MBX macrumors 65816

- native ichat: that's able to keep you online even if you're in a different section or browsing with safari and notifies you with the blue "bezels" when a message occurs.

- flash support.

- much more stable safari.

- on camera exposure controls. most of the time, especially in the evening and night-time the built-in camera feature is useless because of it's crappy lighting sensors.

- nes emulator and other classic games app.

15. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

SDK + Native Apps that go through Apple certification, cost no more than $5, and runs flawlessly.

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

It - and the clock - are the only two widgets I've found worth using - converter to work out how much the US cheques for my freelance work aren't for (as the dollar has tanked), and multiple clocks so I know what time it is in several US cities so I know if the people I'm dealing with will be awake.

The funny thing is - Widgets (for all the song and dance Apple made about them) just isn't that useful. The irony is that MicroSoft made as much of a big thing about their rip-off Gadgets in Vista... Perhaps if more of the ons that would be of some value were not US-centric.

17. docprego macrumors 65816

By that logic Sony would never alllow Null River to create an app that allows streaming from the Mac to the PS3 because Sony PC's already serve that purpose. As we all know Null River released Media Link this week that allows a Mac to stream to the PS3. http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink

18. docprego macrumors 65816

I have never used it but I was aware of the UPC functionality it has built in. That is one of the reasons I thought the app on the iPhone would be possible. Hasn't Delicious Library for the iPhone been announced?

I just thought of a reason that Apple would want this sort of app. The iPhone could become an inventory control device. Have you ever seen the army of inventory people that descend on retail stores periodically? They are all carrying a portable device that they use to input product inventory data. This app would make the iPhone appealing to these inventory companies.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

1) SSH client
    2) full Bluetooth stack including keyboard support
    3) Documents to Go that supports iWork format documents with editing
    4) Keynote presenter
    5) Frontrow to play media from my main iTunes library without syncing (or using something like iPhone Remote or DotTunes)
    6) Mobipocket or eReader application
    7) Proper PDF viewing
    8) Full Java support and Eclipse for the iPhone (;))

1 - 4 on this list would let me leave my laptop at home and just use the iPhone during business trips and would make me very, very happy. 5 and 6 would be "nice to have" and 8 is a wild pipedream!

20. audiored macrumors member

21. aonflux macrumors member

have you actually used it?