Soggy Vacation Photography - Case Recommendations, Please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Fhaoilgeal, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for recommendations for a case for my new iPhone 5S to use while on vacation in Scotland where the weather can be 'variable'. :rolleyes: The case doesn't need to be 100% waterproof because I have no intention of swimming in either the North or Irish Seas nor in any lochs. However, I've ruined two point and shoot cameras on separate vacations due to rain and also due to the cameras having been placed in coat pockets which I didn't realize at the time were very damp. So the case is as much protection from me as from the dreich Scottish weather.

I've looked at a lot of case threads here on MacRumors and elsewhere, but I'm not really sure which aspects of a weather proofing case would be most important in my situation. I hope fellow forumeers can point me in the right direction. I'll be using the iPhone 5S as my primary point and shoot this time around and I'd like to protect it as much as possible from the 'Scottish mist' while still being able to utilize the camera aspect of the iPhone 5S without too much hindrance taking photographs.

Your case suggestions will be taken seriously and researched further and I appreciate any help you might be able to offer. Thanks in advance. F. :cool:

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I am in the same boat going on a surf trip to Bali in December. I am waiting to see what the manufacturers do as far as the camera/flash on 5s.
    I emailed Griffin about the catalyst and they said it works fine with the testing they have done. From reviews sound seems to be a problem and they are slippery although they have a lanyard. I only want to use camera and wifi so may end up getting it. The OB Armor are too big and i had a 4s life proof but hated the screen. This is Griffins response.

In our testing it worked fine. We haven't tested it in all possible conditions yet but our initial round seems to show that it should work just fine. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards,
    Justin
    Griffin Technology
    Customer Support
    (800) 208-5996 | griffintechnology.com/support/contact
    facebook.com/griffintech | twitter.com/griffintech | youtube.com/therealgriffintech

3. Fhaoilgeal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, Robster!

I'm leaning towards the Griffin Survivor + Catalyst as well, though I've got less time than you to make a decision.

I'm a little queasy from all the videos I've watched and threads read, but the ease of applying and removing the Griffin Survivor + Catalyst case coupled with its weather proof qualities and lanyard seem to make it a really good choice for me. (The lanyard because besides being wet, Scotland often experiences gale force winds and I'm hopeful the lanyard will keep me from losing the iPhone in the wind and rain - or given the season, wind and snow.) :rolleyes:

Seems like my search is a couple of months too early for the major iPhone 5S case roll out.
    Wishing you the best of luck on your quest for your iPhone vacation case.

4. Fhaoilgeal thread starter macrumors newbie

Back tracking here on the Griffin Survivor + Catalyst as some recent reviews (on Amazon) indicate that camera shots are blurred by the plastic of the case which covers up the camera lens.

So... will probably go with just the Griffin Survivor instead, which while not water proof allows me to open and close the covering over the camera lens while still providing pretty good protection against the rain. :cool:

5. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Ok, well that is not what they told me. Think i will wait for a 5s specific waterproof case.
    The few days i spent in Scotland it was 30 celsius in Edinburgh one day and the next day in the highlands it was cool and misty rain.

6. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

7. Fhaoilgeal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dascoyne.

I looked at the Lifeproof cases and liked them. My only issue was the opening for the flash doesn't seem to accommodate the iPhone 5S yet. Otherwise they'd definitely be a contender. The fre even has a cool discount code. :)

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Are they bringing out a new one for 5s, does the current 5 model work properly with 5s camera/flash?