Solar Panelled iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mumty, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here. I just had an idea - what about a solar panelled iPhone?
    Not for the iPhone 5, but for the six?

I know it might look odd - but tiny solor panels built into the back woukd give iPhone oppurtunities like charging!

Im sure we could charge the iPhone via solar panels, no connection to cable required. Or better yet, it constantly charges the phone - the battery concept becomes obselete.

It would also be used to sync material via iTunes wirelessly, and brightness settings. When you are in a low light area, a battery is used but when you get back into a high light area, it automatically switches to solar power.

Would this work or would it not? Thanks for reading!

2. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I believe in its current state, the technology isn't quite there yet to be able to have an all solar cell phone, especially a smart phone. While we may see it someday, I personally believe that they should be focusing on developing a phone that is supplemented with kinetic energy...

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Also I think (i might be wrong though) one of the main problems is creating a battery that can be charged both ways, through any socket as well as through solar power without making the iPhone thicker.

Charging the iPhone through body heat would be pretty epic though.

4. larock macrumors member

I don't think I would like the idea of leaving my iPhone sitting directly in the sun.

When backpacking I use a panel from GoalZero that will charge my phone in about 2 1/2 hours (with direct sun light on the panel). It's about the size of a spiral bound notebook layed out open.

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yes, let's put solar panels on the back of our phones so that we can lay them face down on a surface... :rolleyes:

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

This wont work as current solar panels aren't 100% efficient yet

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well I do not think a panel on the back of the phone could even provide enough power to run the phone on idle.

It would be nothing but a feel good thing but really it would not do anything.

8. tomtom101 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure Apple is already a step ahead of you, I remember seeing a Patent involving solar panel charging from apple before, and i also seen another patent that involved putting the solar panels behind the screen - which sounds pretty awesome!!

9. bigchief macrumors 6502a

10. troop231 macrumors 603

I believe you are correct, If I remember right, for every pixel or so, there will be a solar "pixel" next to it that is un-noticeable to the eye.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm pretty sure you're not meant to leave your phone sitting in the sun all day. Not only that, but to get any meaningful power from sunlight it would need to be there for a while. They'd be better off working on cramming a bigger battery in there.

12. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Not to mention the fact that my phone is in my pocket most of the day.

13. twitt3r macrumors 6502

ROLMFAO!!!

No, they are not 100% efficient, nor will they ever be 100% efficient. There will ALWAYS be some energy loss down the line. However, this is not grounds to say it won't work, because of course it will work...just not as efficiently as plugging into a power source or using a larger external solar panel.

This is of course ignoring the practical idiocies of such an idea given where peoples phones are most of the time when not in use. Still, I'm sure that screen tech will integrate it at some point, just because...