Solar panels, this year or next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Jun 7, 2010.

?

Will the iPhone get solar panels today or next year?

1. Yes, today.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Next year.

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Solar panels? Get real.

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Will Apple unveil the solar charged iPhone today or will we be waiting another year?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Next, they gotta save something for next year!

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Did I miss something? When were there rumors of this? It would be cool, but aren't the chances of this even arriving next year remotely small?

4. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

You must remember that Apple has filed for hundreds of patents with only a scant few ever seeing the light of day. Either the others have not panned out in testing or they were simply impractical.

This one certainly seems impractical. My iPhone is in my pocket more than it is in my hand, and no solar panel can charge it faster than it is being used, so it's hardly useful.

As for when we'd see it, it's obviously not on this iPhone, as we already know the physical manifestation of the 4th gen model.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ll-iphone-supports-prototype-in-the-wild.html

5. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Lol, I feel like iPhone users rarely use their device out in the sunlight. If it can be charged even by incandescent lights from indoors, that would be cool, esp if it's charged on all the glass surfaces, both on the front and the back of the phone.

If they switch to a 4.3 inch display on the next iPhone that would give it a much greater surface area to charge the phone.

If they include an OLED screen, it would be more energy efficent and we would actually be able to use it outside, even in the sun.

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It has to be this year since next year they will already have the nuclear reactor core developed.

7. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I would love for this to happen. I live in Florida, it's a no brainer. But I honestly don't think it will happen anytime soon. But I could be wrong.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So you think that Apple is going to encourage people to leave their phone outside in the hot sun for extended periods of time? I don't think so.

9. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

The way I understand it, it wouldn't be to "charge" the phone, but to absorb light from the display as well as the surrounding light to help the battery last longer. I don't see it being a game changer for the phone, but a marketing wet dream for Apple. Similar to Toyota's solar powered car option. Solar power only runs the A/C unit, but it's a big selling point.

If $2 calculators can have solar panels, I can't imagine it'd be too hard for Apple to include something similar to improve iPhone efficiency.

10. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Wait, solar panels... on the back... to absorb light from the display? :p

11. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

So for those that do not spend too much time in the sun can not get an iPhone's full functionality? That does not seem fair. Plus, wouldn't that be promoting skin cancer? ;)

12. tuna macrumors 6502

iPhones will never have solar panels on them. Am I missing a joke?

13. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

14. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I dont think solar panels are currently anywhere near as efficient for this to be a viable option in the next 5 years....plus, Im not going to leave an expensive piece of tech out in the hot sun for any extended period of time :rolleyes:

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Did you not see the patent?

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Obviously not. It would just be another way to augment your battery life while you're outside. It's not meant to replace charging your phone.

17. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

just because there is a patent doesnt mean something exists or ever will exist. IF, and thats a big IF, solar panels beacome an efficient enough source of energy to power smartphones in the future, we MAYBE will see this. Not before.

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Right, but tuna thought it was a joke.

19. tuna macrumors 6502

Ha, I didn't know that insults were against the rules. Sorry about that, I think its a good rule for internet forums as they can get unruly, but its not a common rule so forgive me.

Anyway, I had heard about that patent, but I also know a little about solar panels. And knowing a little about solar panels is enough to know that such technology is a pipe dream, possibly feasible at some time in the very distant future when carbon nanofiber solarpanels have such great efficiency that could get get a useful amount of energy out of indoor lighting. Real world solar panels are nowhere near that right now. Right now, an iPhone sized solar panel couldn't run an iPhone if you put it face up towards a midsummer sun, at the equator, at noon. Much less be able to get a significant charge during the few times it is out of the user's pocket and is getting glancing light from fluorescent tubes.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that Apple would ever put on solar panels on the iPhone.