Solar power for MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by IAmNotMyName, Jun 10, 2008.

1. IAmNotMyName macrumors newbie

I have a lifestyle which often places me away from electrical outlets, meaning I camp a lot. This summer I am living in the woods, in a tent. In the winter I frequently find myself car camping at ski areas, sometimes for multiple days.

Has anyone set up solar electrical power for their MacBook?

Doing so would make me VERY happy.

Thanks in advance...

2. KompleX macrumors regular

i don't think this is a reasonable idea given the inefficiency of solar power that it is today. you would probably need to schlep a solar panel the size of a large suv just to get a few minutes out of the macbook.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

Not really. I have a small solar power panel I put on my boat to recharge it's battery over long periods of day. It works just fine, is water proof, and flexible.

Something like this might work.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/portable_solar.php

It's not very efficient, but if you leave it on whenever your not using it, it should be fine. If you can find a more efficient one which you probably can, then props to you.

4. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I determine just exactly what the power draw is for my MacBook?

I've found several possible solutions using solar panels and DC to AC converters, but I'm not sure how to determine just what I really need in terms of power.

:confused:

5. Uoila macrumors member

A charging macbook uses about 65 watts. Make sure that your solar panel can provide that and more if possible. Solar panels usually advertise what they produce in full sunlight so it would be wise to also make sure that you have some type of battery to charge and use on cloudy days.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It can be done but will have to be pretty nice solar rig with storage battery.
    Won't be cheap. Now the little Solio's are great for ipods, cellphones etc and are pretty cheap (under $100).

7. landlubber macrumors newbie

8. IAmNotMyName thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after reading a few solar electricity books I have come to the conclusion that this is do-able, but not within my budget. I was hoping I could rig something together for under $200, but it just doesn't look like even a home made setup can be done that cheaply.

So, I think I am back to my original plan, a cigarette lighter power adapter to run it from my car. Unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to sell such a beast for the Magnetic Power attachment used on the MacBooks, so I will need to see what I can build myself.

But that's for another thread...

:cool:

9. CBA macrumors newbie

inverter

Get a power inverter for $3o-40 (Costco), plug your regular charger to it and charge of your car cigaret lighter/12v outlets.