Solar Power Iphone 3g charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bubbagumpshrimp, Aug 1, 2008.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

and useless:eek:

4. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I would mind buying a solar panel that size and adapting it to my backpack I wear to work when I get off the train in the morning/evening and give my iPhone that extra juice while I walk.

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

why do you think it's useless?> if you are going out on a hike, picnic, or beach day, how would that be useless?? not all of us sit inside the house all day and night..

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

ha, funnyman. for the price of that, there would be no way it would be worth it. and, do you know how long it would take to charge an iphone with tiny solar panels like that?

7. w00tme macrumors member

i would never leave my phone inside a black case in the sun!

8. cschmelz macrumors 6502

But that's the point, you DON'T HAVE TO LEAVE the phone in the case in the sun. It has an internal Lithium Ion battery. You can leave the CASE in the sun, charge IT'S internal battery and then plug the phone into the case and charge the phone with the free power. It would be cool at a campsite as you could leave the (relatively) cheap case laying out in the sun, keep your phone with you and then charge in the tent during the night, then recharge the CASE during the day!

9. w00tme macrumors member

ahhh... my bad for for actually reading the info. :eek:

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think a crank charger case would be more effective. Actually it would be downright useful for everybody if they could make it thin enough. I wonder how much power is generated by those crank things, like crank radios, etc.

11. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

You would be surprised at how much power a small solar panel can generate (if its a good panel) I have a solar panel outside my house and is about 1 inch around bigger than my iphone and it runs my 3800gph pump for my pond.. and since the NEW iphones run on 5volts, it doesnt require all that much juice, the older iphones probably need to be left out just a LITTLE bit longer, but not much of a difference.

on the other hand, instead of crank, they have the friction generators. You just shake up the case, it causes friction, which is then turned into power and you can use it ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.. now THAT is something i might actually buy!!

I mean think about it, you are stuck on a train and you were playing poker for the hour long ride after surfing the web for the hour before that.. then you need to go into a 3 hour meeting. By the time you get out, your phone could be DEAD.. so instead of NOT playing the games and trying to conserve battery, you just use as MUCH juice as you want and then just shake up your iphone case and plug in the phone..

No sun required (your not always outside, right?) AND it is rather small technology.

I think i'm gonna talk to my engineers about making this :) I think i'm on to something.

12. Haruk macrumors member

Now try to imagine how much friction you'd have to generate to charge up an iphone

13. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Do you know much about these types of alternative power sources.

They make a flash light that typically would run off of 3 D batteries. One D batter is 3.6 Volts x 3 batteries is 9 volts. That is only 3 volts less than the 2G iphone, and WAY more than needed to run a 3G iphone.

The flash light requires a good 30 shakes and it CAN last for a long time, the flash lights have a limiter on how much power can be STORED though, so with those you can not save more than a certain amount of energy, but the batter in the phones is made to hold a day's worth of power.

Even if it is enough to get you through the next few hours, ect..

14. andyjsi macrumors newbie

It does work

I've been testing one of these for over a week now, and whilst I agree its not the most attractive case in the world, it does what its supposed to!

I heard about this first of all on the Mobile Fun Forum - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/mobile-accessories/solar-powered-case-for-iphone-3g.htm

It charges up on my desk, and I work in a non too well lit office with fluorescent lighting. I'm finding that i'm not having to charge my iphone when i get in now, as the case replaces any energy that it loses through out the day, and the case it self charges on the desk.

15. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

I want 50% of the profit sense I created this post;)

16. Lky007 macrumors newbie

New Breed of Solar Power

I have dealt with this company based in Orlando, and they have a new Solar Powered Sleeve for the iPhone coming out this month. Here is the link to their cart: www.commxperts.com/shop

They claim that this is a Ambient Light Charger, with an internal battery.

17. frankluz41 macrumors newbie

Solar Power Queensland

The power of solar gives us high technologies. New discovery happened. Just like this, a solar charger. How amazing, isnt'?

Solar Power Queensland