Solaris won't show up on boot menu

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by atomcomputer, Feb 20, 2012.

1. atomcomputer, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

atomcomputer macrumors newbie

Hey all:

I'm trying to install Solaris 11 on my MBA with bootcamp. I downloaded the bootable ISO and copied the files inside it to a USB drive. When I restart and hold OPTION, the drive doesn't show up.

The same issue happens when I use a bootable CD in my Mac Pro. Still won't recognize the bootable disc.

***PLEASE NO SAYING VIRTUAL MACHINE***

I have reasons I need this to be a separate volume, and a VM is not an option for me.

2. simsaladimbamba

How did you create the bootable Solaris CD?
    And what format (file system) does the USB flash memory thumb drive use you copied the contents of the .iso to?

Are there no instructions on how to create a bootable Solaris install CD or if there are, did you follow them?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

Example: Want to install Solaris, trouble booting into the installer.

3. atomcomputer thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive is formated as a FAT volume. As for how I copied, I mounted the ISO, selected all the files, and dragged to the drive. As for the CD I just burned that from the ISO using disc utility.

4. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

In that case I don't know what to do. Not sure why the CD isn't showing up on your MP. Is the CD flagged as a bootable volume? Hope you get it working. Solaris is a great OS.