Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
LOL. Right when I buy my rMBP, skylake is announced. But I couldn't wait. The 13" wasn't cutting it. Even if I use this one for a few months and then upgrade, I'm fine with that. My computer is my life, hobby, work, so losing 500 bucks on selling and buying something new is worth it.

Also, just an update, the fans are *not* spinning as much as I thought they would. I'm compiling big projects, etc, and the temp is between 45° and 55°. Playing games fans spin up at 6k–which is fine, honestly even the iMac spins like crazy, even my GTX on my old PC spinned up, but I'm surprised the temp NEVER goes above 60°. Even the rMBP 13" went up to 80° before fans spun up like nobodies business.

But just reiterating, thanks guys. Loving this thing!

Reactions: dogbait

dogbait

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
London, England
And when skylake comes out and maybe new mac pro's I'll evaluate, but so far, I feel like I maybe have converted to be a laptop person.

Heheh, enjoy :) I think you made the right choice.

Embrace the laptop life fully, try things like Vagrant, AWS, etc. when you feel the need to spin up a VM. The less infrastructure you feel the need to personally own the more flexible you'll find you can become :)

A good NAS like a Synology helps with that (and supports Time Machine backups to boot).

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Think the fans are getting to me and so is the heat. Been running a VM PC server at my desk and using MS RDP into it instead and it's working nice actually. I think 15" feels good, but also feels like overkill to have a 3k$ for a thin client. But it's also technically my "primary" computer too. SO I don't know...

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Just installed/trying Parallels 11. Amazed at how much better it is. Running both VMs at the same time never goes above 50°C. Going to keep using the laptop, this is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.