Sold an iPad... Help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kattjeveln, Aug 13, 2013.

1. kattjeveln macrumors member

When I sold my iPad that was bought on aug 22 2012. Thing is, the buyer requested the receipt and I gave it to him.

Was this a stupid move from me? Should I have kept it?

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you had no problems with the money from the sale, I see nothing wrong with giving him the receipt.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I dont see a problem with that. As a consumer of second-hand products, I too personally prefer the receipt, or a copy of it, when purchasing high end items, or items with possible warranty on them. But more of to justify that I bought it from the owner, and it is not stolen.

4. kattjeveln thread starter macrumors member

Ok that is good. The deal took place IRL so I got paid on the spot. Was afraid me giving him te receipt would come back and bite me in the ass somehow...

5. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

What happens when the item was purchased with a stolen credit card? Since you have receipt in hand, I believe you wouldn't be able to prove otherwise. I don't think the receipt proves it wasn't stolen. I guess my statement goes more so for people selling sealed items with receipts. If the item has been used, the stolen credit card thing will be less likely.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Hmm very true, I havent thought of that.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It might conceivable offer some defence against a charge of "handling stolen goods", or similar. The receipt allows the buyer to believe "in good faith" that the iPad is not stolen, even if it is.

It might also allow the new buyer to go back to Apple, should the device develop a fault under warrantee.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer