Sold Aperture 2 - but 'serial number invalid'

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lyciaharper, Mar 30, 2011.

1. lyciaharper macrumors newbie

Hi there, can anyone help?

I bought Aperture 2 many months ago, but found it wouldn't work on my Powerbook G4. I then switched to Adobe Lightroom, and put the Aperture software in the cupboard.

I've just sold the software, but the new user gets the error message, 'serial number invalid'. It's possible I entered the serial number (can't remember), but the software itself was never used. How do I get the software to work for someone else?

Many thanks for any help.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Did you buy Aperture from Apple in a sealed box? If so the current owner needs to contact Apple.

Or if you bought it used from a third party then I suspect the S/N is in fact invalid.

I don't think Apple registers the S/N when you install and you can abuse the license and install it on ten computers. But just to see if this is the case (or not) you can remove the Internet connection while attempting to install. The result of this experiment will provide some good information.

Some times when Apple releases a new version of Aperture the new version black lists a few S/Ns that have been pirated or posted on-line. Typically these pirated S/Ns stop working when the next version of Aperture comes out. But if the S/N used matches the version of Aperture this can not be what's going on.

3. lyciaharper thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there
    That's dead useful, thank you. I've passed it on.

Is there any way for me to check which serial numbers have been blacklisted?

Best regards, Lycia

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Where did you buy it? Contact them for support.

5. wilhelmreems macrumors member

did you do a complete uninstall and try to unregister the software?