Sold iMac and Mavericks recovery login

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by al404, May 12, 2014.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

Hi i just sold my imac that i had 10.6.4 on DVD
    since i upgraded to mavericks i just formatted my HDD and start installation from Recovery

The problem is that i need to log in to mac app store to proceed i don't know if that imac would be connect with me or in some way has relations with my account

what is the best way to restore that imac? can i download 10.9 from other mac and restore from USB?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you must install 10.6.4 from the DVD, then apply the 10.6.8 Combo update.

The buyer will then go to the App Store under HIS Apple ID and "buy" HIS copy of Mavericks.

To be able able to install 10.6.4, you will need to boot up from the DVD, then use Disk Utility to erase the WHOLE disk (not the Macintosh HD partition only).

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

You can always download Mavericks GM DMG via torrent (no piracy as it is free, don't know any other way to get it without attaching it to your App Store account).

Restore it to a USB and using that do a full on clean install (wipe disk in Disk Utility and install Mavericks).

Once installed, it will boot up to setup where you can customize just as you would with a new mac.

Just power it down at this point and next time it turns on, it will go back into setup so the buyer can create their login, add iCloud and so forth.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go ahead and enter your AppleID and do the install. This does not in any way give the new owner access to your AppleID. Just make sure you tell the new owner to go to the App Store to "purchase" Mavs under their own AppleID in case they ever need to reinstall.

Or you can do like you mentioned and DL Mavs form the App Store on another Mac and make a USB key installer with this free app.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

How will the buyer do to get the iLife Apps for free ?

When you install the original OS (10.6) + the iLife Apps from the install DVDs, you can then upgrade to Mavericks and get iPhoto and iMovie for free.

If the buyer gets the Mac with Mavericks installed, he won't be able to use the Install DVD to install the iLife apps, then he won't be able to get them for free : he will have to buy them.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

He won't. OP did not mention that was a concern. You can certainly send along the old DVDs for the new owner to do whatever they want.