Sold iP4, went back to 3GS, Effed up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Oct 3, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Hopefully someone can help me.

Yesterday I sold my iP4. Before I sold it I backed up my 4 in itunes, went to At&t, got a new sim for my 3GS and had it activated. I took it home, plugged into itunes and it asked me if I wanted to "RESTORE from iP4 backup, or Set up as new phone". I did a restore from backup and it told me I couldn't restore because the phone had to be updated 1st. So I updated to 4.3.5 and everything went perfect.

Heres the problem, now it only gives me the option to update software (which says it's up to date) or Restore. No option to restore that backup, and ALL my contacts are gone. What can I do? I have an new imac but the address book is empty. I never checked it on the mac but I thought itunes would back up to the address book automatically..Apparently it didn't.

Im sure I screwed up somewhere but I just don't know where. I was thinking time machine but like I said, my address book was empty so I don't think it would do any good?

If there are any tricks to get them back I would REALLY, REALLY appreciate it. I had a ton of contacts that would really suck to lose.

And for future, How do I make sure my iphone contacts syncs with address book on my mac?

----------

Oh, and one more thing...Not that it's a big deal at all because 3GS is only temp. But, now that I am running 4.3.5, shouldn't I have the added text and ring tones that were added a while back? All I have are the old standards. Agian, No big deal but just thought it was weird.

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

restore the iphone using the restore option, then when it is setting up it will give you the option to restore from backup.

as for backup of your contacts you can get it to sync with your computer but a much better option would be to use something like iCloud or google sync (gmail).

therefore you just input your log in ID and your contacts and calendar is pulled from the cloud. iCloud is out very soon if you can wait or if you use gmail already then gmail is the best option.

3. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Wait, a thread that's not about the iPhone 4S/5? :eek:

Bless your soul.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

If androiphone's advice doesn't work (it should), check out iPhoneBackupExtractor: http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

(I have no relationship with this product or company other than having used it myself)

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

What? Oh Yeah.

That simply doesn't compute.

I tried to run it through my MBP and it could not analyze that statement... :rolleyes:

6. staeit macrumors member

This is one way to do it, but why not just do it the easy way (without restoring) - see pic:

http://i56.tinypic.com/29qnjth.png

Off topic - why on earth would you go from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 3GS??

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Thanks for that link. I wanted to save my text messages but wanted to restore fresh when I get the new iPhone so im going to try that.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Some individuals will sell their current phone in advance of the announcement of a new model and switch to their "backup" phone in an effort to recoup a higher sales price than they might get after the announcement. In effect they're stepping back to a previous model for a while in exchange for more money to put towards the new model.

9. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

lol...cut me a break...I'm excited. I don't think any of my threads were all that repetitive or that bad. And if you haven't noticed, I've gotten bored with it and haven't started a thread in a while now. But I do happen to love all the debating (fighting, flaming, etc) that goes on around here when it comes to the new iphone. I am just very passionate (as are a ton of others) when it comes to Apple and iPhone. Plus, It helps pass the time.
    It'll all be quiet tomorrow during the event, then it will blow up with a fury starting tomorrow afternoon and the next day with "I told you so" & "Apple is horrible" or "I knew Apple wouldn't let us down" etc, etc (which I am sure I will be a part of)...And then by weeks end everything will be back to normal (for a few months anyway).

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

Just right click the phone in itunes, and then hold Shift and click on Restore from Backup. You'll be able to select the backup you want to restore from. Done deal. This is on Windows, the key is Option on a mac.