Sold IP4S, do I have to take sim out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jackpollard, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jackpollard macrumors newbie

Hey all;

Thanks for looking.

So, I ended up with 2 IP4S's, 1 for me and 1 to sell. SOld in 5 minutes on eBay.

Do I have to open the carton and take out the sim, or can I just send it unopened to the new owner?

Thanks again!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

How much did you make?

4. jackpollard thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the sim? I thought if they turn it on, it provisions to my account?

Sorry for the details, but... I bought 1 for me, on my line. I bought the other 1 on my sons line, I'm giving him my IP4. They are all on my account. Thats the 1 I sold.

----------

After ALL the freaking fees; enough to cover mine + take the wife out to a nice dinner.

I could of prob grabbed another buck, but, meh.

Must be the Asian market, smoking hot I hear.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

ive seen the iPhone 4S go for about $650-700 on eBay so far

The iPhone 4 went for a lot more last year

6. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Wait, so you're saying you already got two of you're iPhone 4S's?

7. docgerrard macrumors 6502

8. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I think hes doing pre sales, them he ships it to the eBay customer when he gets it

9. BiscuitsNGravy macrumors member

Probably just added another line? I would guess.

If so, do you factor is the additional monthly cost of the line, plus data plan. I thought you still had to pay for that unless you cancelled the contract.

10. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

He didn't create another line that will go unused just to sell the phone. Refer to post 4.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

So you burned your son's upgrade and gave him a hand me down iphone 4. What a dad! :rolleyes:

P.S. yes you have to take the sim out or it will be activated on your account.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, unless the son's paying for his own phone and contract, he gets the hand me down and better be DARN GRATEFUL he got an iPhone. I'd be hugging my Dad for weeks....

Thanks Dad!

13. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Yeah, that kid must have a terrible life, being given high end electronics...

14. BASRification macrumors member

I would open yours first and see what the process is to activate the phone. From there, decide what you have to do.

15. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I remember when the first iPhone came out. I bought one for me and another 8gb to sell and made $850 on eBay. The good old days.

Anyway, send unopened.

16. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

DON'T OPEN. Once you receive it, call the activation line, you have to do this to complete the upgrade. It will activate the SIM inside the 4S. Then you'll need to go to an at&t store, or go before and just have one already, and get a new microSIM for your son's i4, just call customer care to activate or get them to activate it in the store. This will then deactivate the SIM in the 4S, and your sons will be ready to go.

17. jackpollard thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, so many excellent comments! this is why I love posting here!!

OK, really, good ole dad pays/has paid for your whole life for your minty hand me down IP4!!! Let me ask you, would you take a IP4 for free? Heck yeah!!

ZBoater you are dead on! I pay, its mine to do what I like!!! Nawww, my 18yo is just waiting patiently for my old IP4, sweetly jb'en.

I still have; my wife, daughter and other son for IP5, 5s and 6!!

Good advice about trying mine 1st. Will do. Do you know if its just the micro sim in my current IP4? My son has a IP3S. I was going to send him to ATT on Friday with my phone and no sim card. Then ATT can figure it out.

18. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Yup they'll activate a new microSIM for him and he'll be g2g

19. Jatan macrumors newbie

Jatan

I wouldnt send the phone to the buyer without first activating it or else when they turn it on it'll start the activation process which is linked to your account (the new iPhone is supposed to support computer-free activation)

I would just activate your new iPhone first so that your phone & new SIM are working (which will deactivate your old iP4 SIM). Then I would activate your son's new iPhone so that his phone & new SIM are working. Now that everything is activated just pop out your son's new SIM card and put it in your old iP4

Send the buyer the 4s without a SIM card and let him/her know that you went through the activation process to activate your line and that you'll be using the SIM card in another phone, other than that the phone is brand new and hasnt been used