Sold iPad...How to Reset...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JoelBC, Oct 28, 2012.

1. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Apologies for asking this but I could not find it through a forum search...

I am one of the many who has elected to sell their iPad 3 after the recent announcement of the iPad 4....I know that before selling my iPad 3 I should back it up to facilitate transfer to a new device (i.e. another iPad) but I do not know how to wipe it clean to ensure that all my data / information has been removed...

I would appreciate someone here telling me how to accomplish this.

With much thanks,

Joel

2. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

Easiest thing to do:

1. Backup to iCloud (Settings -> iCloud -> Storage & Backup -> 'Back Up Now')

2. Erase iPad (Settings -> General -> Reset -> 'Erase All Content and Settings')

When you receive your new iPad, you can restore from iCloud backup. Easy as pie.

3. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Appreciate the prompt response, very helpful indeed...thanks...

Joel

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I read somewhere recently that if you are selling, to make sure you unregister your iPad on your iTunes account in addition to wiping it.

5. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice but how does one do that?

6. XFactorer macrumors regular

Yeah. I actually just sold my iPad 2. I connected it to iTunes and did a Restore. When I went to meet the buyer, he wanted me to show him if he could download an app w/o an iTunes account. I said, "Let's try!" And it turns out my iTunes account was still attached. I signed out immediately and made sure my photos and other items weren't still lingering. Phew!

7. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I thought you just needed to wipe the iPad and deauthorize it inside of your iTunes account. That's all I've ever done.

8. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, a start, how does one de-authorize it within iTunes as the only authorization or de-authorization I have seen in iTunes is for computers.

TIA,

Joel

9. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Go into iTunes on your computer. Hit your apple id in the top right corner. Go into your account> go to iTunes in the Clouds>manage devices>remove the iPad that you're selling....You can do that either before or after you wipe your iPad. At least that's how I've done it and it has worked for me

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Thanks all for clearing that up. I was thinking de-authorize but said unregister. I apologize for the confusion. I've never sold an idevice either so all of your post are helpful, as I too will likely be selling in the near future.

11. JoelBC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, very helpful and I hope others have and will benefit from this...

Fast follow up...presumably my backup to the iCloud will still be there for future reference in that "remove" only "breaks" the link between the iPad and the iTunes store so that apps can no longer be downloaded...please confirm / correct...

Thanks,

Joel

12. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

Joel, that's how I understand it BUT I've always added the new iPad before I disassociated the last iPad.

If you're at all worried, right click on the device you're selling inside iTunes(right hand side of the page) and hit "backup". This will provide a local backup on your hard drive so that you are assured there will be no problems.

Hope this helps

13. ITGuy macrumors regular

ALWAYS ensure you have Internet connectivity (WiFi/3G/4G) and turn of iMessage under Settings>Messages before you wipe your iOS device.

-ITGuy