Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Hi guys. I'm in an odd situation and want to turn to the wisdom of the masses for some advice.

I sold my old iPhone 3G on eBay after buying an iPhone 4. I posted pictures of the device (not very detailed). A buyer purchased, and emailed and said he wanted to jailbreak the phone and use it on Verizon. Obviously, he meant he wanted to unlock it.

The phone was delivered on Aug. 5, and I never heard from the buyer. But then on Aug. 13, the buyer contacts me and claims there are scratches and dead pixels on the device, and he wants a refund. The device had extremely minimal scratches. Virtually none. There were certainly no dead pixels, as the phone was refurbished just several weeks earlier by Apple.

The auction clearly stated the return policy was 3 days.

The buyer paid through Paypal. His feedback has a couple dings, but nothing major.

I'm assuming he tried to unlock it and is now fabricating issues in order to obtain a refund.

Have you ever had an experience like this? What do you think is the best approach?

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Since you had a 3 day return policy and it passed, why worry about it? If he files a return request at PayPal, you can dispute it by showing a link to your 3 day return policy.

That's all. :)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Since you had a 3 day return policy and it passed, why worry about it? If he files a return request at PayPal, you can dispute it by showing a link to your 3 day return policy.

That's all. :)
...and he will probably still lose. OP take the money out of paypal so they can't do jack squat.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yes he can. You can dispute the claims with PayPal. It will take a while, but it will work.

Make sure to save all your delivery confirmation pages, ebay pages, the lot. Print all of them out too, not just digital copies.

When you hit the buy button on eBay or win the auction, you have to abide by the rules on each auction. I've been a member on eBay since 1999 so trust me with this one.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Not to depress you, but...

I'm an eBay 100% feedback member since 2001. (Over 100 transactions.)
Buyer was a 0% feedback buyer who joined during my auction (I didn't notice until it was too late).

She told Paypal I shipped her an empty box when I sold her my 3G. Long story short, even with shipping receipts, etc., I lost. Paypal balance is -$320ish now.

Take all your money out and cancel any Paypal auto-charges like iTunes. Paypal will screw you.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
If you do decide to refund him for any reason make sure you receive the phone first and that is in the same working order that it was.

If the phone left you working then he has obviously messed it up judging by what he has said is wrong with it. you stated a three day return so he has agreed to the terms of sale so you should be ok.

Be wary though paypal often takes the buyers side so remove your money from your account so it doesn't get frozen without the phone in your possession.

Damn eBay seems to have so many problems these days!

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere

Buyer was a 0% feedback buyer who joined during my auction (I didn't notice until it was too late).

She told Paypal I shipped her an empty box when I sold her my 3G. Long story short, even with shipping receipts, etc., I lost. Paypal balance is -$320ish now.

Take all your money out and cancel any Paypal auto-charges like iTunes. Paypal will screw you.

Did you try to fight it? There are ways to call PayPal. Or direct contact with a human.

It's going to be a headache, but you can do it.

I hate buyers like that. No one wants to be honest anymore :(

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Did you try to fight it? There are ways to call PayPal. Or direct contact with a human.

It's going to be a headache, but you can do it.

I hate buyers like that. No one wants to be honest anymore :(

You realize by default paypal will side with the buyer? It's an uphill battle and more importantly luck if you can actually get them to actually side with you.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX

That's horrible. I've heard stories like yours, which is why I'm concerned.

I have insurance and tracking receipts, and I'm hoping since he waited to long to contact me about the issue, beyond the return period, it will work out in my favor.

I've asked him to send me photos of the damage.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You realize by default paypal will side with the buyer? It's and uphill battle and more importantly luck if you can actually get them to actually side with you.

I know. But if you just give up and let them win, what's the purpose of living?

GO FOR IT AND FIGHT FOR WHAT'S YOURS! :cool:

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009

I have insurance and tracking receipts, and I'm hoping since he waited to long to contact me about the issue, beyond the return period, it will work out in my favor.

My stupid buyer emailed me and said the box was empty, then told Paypal item was "not as described." She also had asked about the phone being unlocked before the auction ended, but after she had placed a bid. I think she got the phone and couldn't use it. I sent Paypal the conflicting information, and they just didn't care. My history and her lack thereof meant nothing. They're flat out crooks, and IMO, they assisted this buyer in defrauding me. I filed complaints with the postmaster general and FBI computer crimes department, but I'm sure nothing ever happened. They send me collections notices now, and they get a big FU from me.

Sleazy E

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2009
Disneyland
this is why you should sell on craigslist and only buy on ebay. ebay and paypal protect the buyer first, never the seller. live and learn.

good luck!

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
After you make a sale or in an item description you can state politely that the item has been photographed and filmed to show it's working order and all transactions, shipping are recorded for buyer protection. I think it could make casual scammers turn away from your item as you have alot of evidence to back your claim if it come to that.

People will not mind this if it is put politely.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
this is why you should sell on craigslist and only buy on ebay. ebay and paypal protect the buyer first, never the seller. live and learn.

good luck!

Truer words...

I sold my 3GS on craigslist after my nightmare. Less money, but it can't be returned.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I'm a ebay seller with over 2500+ positive feedbacks and I'm getting quite tired of all these 'omg paypal sux!!!' claims.

First, always ship a package over $250 in value with signature confirmation - delivery confirmation is not enough to back up your claim. Second, and most important - insure the item.

All merchant account companies/credit card payment processors will initiate a 'freeze' on the charges - regardless of whether the buyer is making a fraudulent claim or not - whether it's paypal, authorize.net, 2checkout.com, wells fargo business solutions - you get the idea.

I have had this happen 3 times - because of signature confirmation I was saved on 2 items, but the third one only had delivery confirmation and I had to refund the money. However, the item was insured, and I was paid full insurance because of this claim. Now, in the event of dishonesty on the buyer's part - the insurance company can decide to investigate that person, but as far as the seller is concerned - he will get his insurance payment.

Always, always, always add signature confirmation and insurance to every shipment. If you want to go one step further you can add registered mail confirmation to it as well.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Hi guys. I'm in an odd situation and want to turn to the wisdom of the masses for some advice.

I sold my old iPhone 3G on eBay after buying an iPhone 4. I posted pictures of the device (not very detailed). A buyer purchased, and emailed and said he wanted to jailbreak the phone and use it on Verizon. Obviously, he meant he wanted to unlock it.

He wanted to use it on Verizon .... and you sold it to him? No wonder he wants a refund. Duhhhh! :eek:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

You could have excluded buyers with less than a certain number of feedbacks. Why didn't you do this? They will still be able to bid but you are under no obligation to sell to a 0 feedback highest bidder.

The return period is irrelevant if it's a Significant Not As Described dispute, but you can fight it and still win in the end.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
From now on try to use check via mail & wait 7 or more days for it to clear or money order in mail. I've also been a seller for many years and I hate paypal and i plan on giving up on paypal.

Btw I always ship signature confirmation.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I agree with the CraigsList people. Sold my iPhone 3GS on CraigsList hassle free (aside from people offering outrageously low offers, but those are ignorable. ;))

Similar deal with me on Amazon. Seller 3 months later claims I sent an empty box. $600 gone from me and 10 free iPad camera connection kits to them. My Amazon seller account with great reputation folded by Amazon because of one lying sack of ****. These places are brick walls to sellers. They want to make the customers happy, sellers are disposable.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
From now on try to use check via mail & wait 7 or more days for it to clear or money order in mail. I've also been a seller for many years and I hate paypal and i plan on giving up on paypal.

Btw I always ship signature confirmation.

He can't do that. eBay requires payment via PayPal. You cannot ask for payment via money order/personal check/cash. eBay requires sellers to accept PayPal as a form of payment, so unless a buyer directly asks to pay via money order for instance, you're FORCED into accepting payment via PayPal. I'm a Power Seller on eBay, and have to know the rules inside and out. They claim it's because it's easier to deal with problematic buyers/sellers, but I'm sure part of the reason is the extra money that PayPal makes. Money orders and the like nets PayPal/eBay nothing.

If you plan to give-up PayPal, then you most likely will not be able to sell much any longer. I will say, depending on the incident, PayPal may side with both buyer and seller. I sold an item to a buyer in Oregon, I have tracking on it, and he claims never to have gotten it. The tracking does prove he never received it, but I never received the item back either. PayPal/eBay ended-up refunding the buyer from their own pockets. I got to keep my money, since I shipped the item in "good faith." There really was nothing else I could have done personally to ensure the item was delivered, short of delivering it by hand myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.