Sold iPhone 4 now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ttados, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Ttados macrumors newbie

Hey guys I just sold my iPhone 4 and I am just going to buy a cheap att phone. My question is what do I do about the micro sim? Chances are, I will get a phone that uses a regular sim card so will I just have to go to an att store to get my new phone activated and a new sim card? Also, if this is the case does anyone know if it will cost anything?

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Yes, you will need to go to an AT&T store. They should swap your sim for free.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Just out of curiosity - why did you sell it? Did you have concerns about the subscription, the handset or the iTunes/iPhone 'ecosystem'?

4. Ttados thread starter macrumors newbie

Jmacman78, thanks for letting me know I appreciate it!

kernkraft, I want to buy a new dslr camera and selling it helped out a lot. It was purely so I could have the extra money. I actually love iPhone 4 and haven't had one complaint about it.

5. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

6. Ttados thread starter macrumors newbie

Not anymore :)

7. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

You should probably consider updating your sig then, its not so cool to boast about stuff you don't own...

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

does it really matter?

9. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Only that people will presume that he owns stuff that he doesn't, such as happened above, its a matter of convenience as much as it is about undeserved brags.

10. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

So you list what you have in your sig so you can boast/brag?

11. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

No; you list what you have so that when you ask for advice people can give you meaningful advice based on what you have told them.

12. asr10 user macrumors regular

Just get a $1 microsim converter on ebay. I did that and used a microsim in a cheap samsung I had.

And some ATT stores can be pricks about swapping sims. One store was going to charge me $25 per sim, and I needed 2. So luckily another changed mine for free.

13. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I'd say there was an aspect of that, the same way that people are aware of usertitles and why post counts aren't displayed.

People like to show off...

14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

What's next? You being horribly disappointed by whatever phone you get next.

15. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Yeah, those people are called LOSERS!

Putting your items in your sig is pathetic. No one cares what you own, have owned, want to own. The fact that you even care that he has 3gs in his sig is another telling thing. Go out, get some sun, find a girl/guy you like and hang out with her/him and move on with your life.

16. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Agreed! Sigs are just for braggin anyway. Probably most people don't have 1/2 the crap they list.

17. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

You can use a tray adapter to make your micro sim a normal one; or just go to any ATT store and they will give you a new one for free.

18. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I got mine on EBay and recently ordered a couple for $5.

This is how they look...

Attached Files:

19. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Don't sim cards only work in the phones their in? My old iphone 4 sim card didn't work in my new iphone 4? The cards have to be attached to the imei number of the phone, so how is putting the micro sim in a tray and putting it in the new phone going to work?

20. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I've moved sims between many phones without telling my provider.

21. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I don't think so, besides the OP already sold his iPhone and has a micro SIM, so he wants to out it on a smartphone that uses regular SIM size card. All he needs to do is use the micro-SIM tray and put that SIM into the new/other smartphone and as ling as he keeps his iPhone data plan it should work. Maybe he might need to call CS to update to a proper data plan, but the SIM will work.

I have an iphone4 which I will soon return it back at Apple store and also have a backup palm Pre+ and I always swap SIM (using the tray) and both phones work on the iPhone data plan.

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

How long before we see a nice DSLR camera for sale?

LOL!

23. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

In between my iphone 4 and my white iphone 4 I had an inspire. Could that be why my sim card didn't work since the data packages are different? Does that mean that if I switch to an iPhone 5, if it has a micro sim I can easily just switch cards without calling at&t?

24. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

OK, it looks like we have some confusion with SIM cards and how/why they work. When you sign up for a contract or you get a new phone from AT&T, they supply you with a new SIM card that is coded with your account information. Each SIM card has a completely different back-end code which lets AT&T activate and deactivate the SIM card if anything happens. If you purchased a new phone from another dealer and it was unlocked, you could use the same SIM card in the new phone or swap the newest SIM card between different phones in order to use your line. The normal practice for AT&T is to give you a new SIM card for your new phone so that there are no compatibility problems with your SIM card with a new phone.

I can't believe someone would sell their iPhone to get a DSLR. Hopefully it was a smart purchase and you got something decent. If I was a photographer, I would definitely have an iPhone and take pictures with it and some decent lenses. Yes, it's not a DSLR but getting gigs and communication with people would be my primary concern.