Sold iPhone, can buyer restore without passcode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramuman, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ramuman macrumors regular

ramuman

I dropped and broke the glass on my iPhone 3G. While trying to fix it, I screwed it up and couldn't get it to power on. I ended up buying a new one and selling the old one as-is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170281871774&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=007

Thing is I had a passcode and I forgot to wipe the data before trying to fix it. After I broke it, I had no way to take the passcode off and sold it thinking the buyer could do a restore.

The buyer has fixed it and gotten a display and now wants the passcode to enter into the phone, but I was under the impression you can put it into restore mode and wipe it without a passcode. Is this right? I don't want to give out my passcode. There wasn't much personal on my phone, but I'd rather contacts and such and not be revealed.

I hope no one accuses me of stealing the phone or something along those lines.

2. wackymacky macrumors 65832

wackymacky

They could try recovery mode could try recovery mode.

3. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Too much coffee?:p

4. ramuman thread starter macrumors regular

ramuman

Thanks...I've told the buyer to try the hold home/sleep button and see what happens. I've never forgotten my passcode so I've never run into this problem.

5. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

6. ramuman thread starter macrumors regular

ramuman

7. ramuman thread starter macrumors regular

ramuman

He said he's got it restoring. He mentioned the headphone jack doesn't work (though it should be fixable), but that everything else does. Apparently I bent a pin on a connector when I put it back together and that was shorting that connection. Oh well. He ends up with a cheap iPhone.