Sold iPhone on eBay - a few questions. Plz help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ortuno2k, Jun 20, 2008.

1. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Just sold my iPhone. The buyer is from Russia, has 0 feedback. He/She already paid me through PayPal but the address is unconfirmed. I have asked him/her to please confirm the address before I will ship the phone and withdraw the money from my PayPal account.

Here's the transaction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300235037721&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=020

Should I be concerned about getting scammed?

I've sold stuff on eBay stuff, but shipped to US-only..so I'm a bit skeptical shipping to another country and to someone with no feedback.

Thanks.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If the money is in your account, there is NOTHING they can do without consent to you.

In most cases, people out of america can't confirm their address. I forgot why, but there is a reason. This coming from the person that shipped around 20 iPhones out of the country.

If his ebay profile says he is in russia, and his paypal account says he is in russia, then it should be fine.

3. Paul S macrumors regular

Is he/she a verified Paypal member? In reality, they have more to worry about than you, since they are the buyers, out of the country, and have already sent the money--advantage, you.

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Why not just make him wait until you withdraw the money from your account before you ship?

5. matttrick macrumors 6502

ive heard of them just filing a chargeback after the fact, and getting their money back and you banned from paypal. i would be very leery.

6. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I agree. Paypal normally sides with the buyers if they decide to file a complaint...especially if they have unconfirmed addresses. If you do send it, be sure to get plenty of insurance. There are 3rd party companies that will insure international shipments, but be sure to find out what their limitations might be on electronics.

7. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Key for PayPal is to use whatever shipping necessary to confirm delivery. If you can't confirm delivery to PayPal's satisfaction you lose.

In the U.S. that would be signature confirmation (from USPS, UPS, etc) for anything over $250. Don't know what works for intl shipping, but you need to find out. And check on shipping to an unconfirmed address as noted above.

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Make him shell the extra and get USPS Global Express ... trust me it's worth it.

You can't track anything else from USPS.

9. buckeye17 macrumors member

This is correct, however the person receiving the package must have a verified/confirmed address. If it's unconfirmed, PayPal will side with the buyer.

Do not send the iPhone to Russia. Even if you withdraw the money from your PayPal account to your bank account, PayPal can still take the money back out of your bank if the buyer claims he never received the item.

10. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i would just withdraw the money and then ship the item, so paypal cant lock up your money in your account

espo

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Insure it, track it and ship. If you have a good track record on ebay you shouldnt worry.

12. todd11231 macrumors newbie

Even though you take the money out of your paypal account, if it is a scam and they file a claim or something paypal will turn you into a collection agency and they can ruin your credit.

I had that sorta thing happen to me. I sold a phone and money was put in my account. The guy said the phone was "significantly not as described" and paypal agreed to give him his money back! He had to ship the phone back to me, which he shipped one that was the same phone but in terrible condition and not working....switcheroo. I contacted paypal and said I refused to pay them (my account negative they already gave him his money when he provided a shipping number) and showed them pictures of what I was sent back and they pretty much said they did not care/believe me. I had to pay them and im still fighting them. They sent me to a collection agency, so in order to keep my credit good I had to pay! I hate that, and have you tried to sell anything on e-bay accepting only money orders? Everyone thinks its a scam and wont even bid on the item. I stick to craigs list now, not as wide a buyer base, but you can insist on cash.

I hate paypal!

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You should of taken them to court.

I'm still debating on to. Paypal is a joke. My account got locked once because "The iPhone is a high value item, we need to insure wellness and security". So, i lost sales for about 2 weeks, after i supplied my info, social security number (lol....) and receipt of the iPhones. Then, 2 weeks later my account got locked, and now i can't do anything about it until October 20th. Thank god i didn't have an iPhone i had to buy! So now i have $502 in my Paypal account just sitting there.

It's also cute how for a $600 item, they can take out $25. For what? Are you serious? I sold about 20 iPhones at around $600, and 20 x $25 is $400. That's a lot :mad:

14. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

1) Ship via UPS or DHL as those are trustworthy worldwide couriers.

2) Get insurance for the value of the phone.

3) Delivery confirmation. Regardless if address is verified or not.

Paypal will protect the seller if all of these things are followed. I was a bit weary even shipping to someone in the US that didn't have a confirmed address.

This way they can't come back and say they never got the item because you will have confirmation that they did indeed get it.

But really a lot of people in Russia are buying up the 1st gen iPhones. It's not that uncommon, they just in turn flip them in their own country for a lot more.