Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Hi!

I sold an unlocked canadian iphone on ebay to an american and now he's messaging me saying iTunes is telling him it can't activate the phone.

the phone was unopened when I mailed it and I didn't send the microsim it came with since its for canada. What exactly will this person be required to do to get the phone in working order, assuming he doesn't currently have any contract with at&t and presumably doesn't want one, but just wants to be able to use it abroad with whatever local provider?

Looking around seems one of the solutions would be to find someone with a currently activated phone, pop in that persons sim, activate it, then give it back to them, is there any other way to go about this? thanks!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
He definitely needs a micro SIM, of course.

Ask if he's an existing AT&T customer or is using T-Mobile. If he's an existing AT&T customer, he can cut his current SIM to fit or he can go to AT&T and ask them for a micro SIM (they shouldn't charge him for one). If he cuts up a current active SIM, he needs to put that in the iPhone and then connect it to his computer and iTunes should recognize that it has an active SIM in it already. If he gets a new micro SIM, he can then go to this site to activate it under his current account (his old SIM will deactivate once this process is complete): https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/

I don't know what he needs to do to activate it with T-Mobile so hopefully someone else can chime in here if he's using T-Mobile.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Almost sounds like the buyer is trying to activate the iPhone without a sim card in it.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
My AT&T iPhone 5 doesn't have a sim card at all, although all of my prior iPhones had sim cards, and I've always used AT&T. UPDATE: I opened it again, and there IS a very tiny sim card in there!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.