Sold iPhone On eBay Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dissdnt, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

So I sold my dad's first gen iPhone on Ebay today.

I've used ebay before but this was the first time i actually sold something and I gotta tell you it's pretty hilarious the cast of characters that show up.

One guy emailed me outside of ebay from, ahem, Africa.. scam anyone :) Offering me over 1k to stop the auction etc.

I got a few legit bids, the winning bidder created his account on the March 2nd and has no rep.

So now im a worried it's not legit. It ended about 5 hours ago and haven't heard anything from the buyer.

If this guy doesn't correspond in 24 hours whats the best option? I saw that you can do something called "second chance offer" where im guessing it emails the other bidders if they are interested in the item.

Does this affect the final bid price?

I'm just wondering if the last guy who bid wanted out and just used some dummy account to get out of it, which probably happens all the time.

Sorry for all the lame ebay questions :)

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

It's a scam. The only way to not get screwed over and over is to set up a buy it now auction where the buyer is required to pay via paypal immediately.

3. Vanilla Cocoa macrumors member

Those Nigerian scammers are hilarious.

Anyways, yes, I would suggest a second chance offer. I am not sure though, if you'll have to go through eBay and file a non-paying bidder report. They make you wait a week to do that.

4. iFerd macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I did with my first generation iPhone. It sold and was paid for within an hour.

5. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I would give it a few days. I have sold many things on ebay where I do not hear from the buyer for a day or two, some people set up automatic bids and do not know they won for a day or two.

6. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

K cool, i'll wait a few days see whats up, pretty frustrating.

7. blueguy99 macrumors newbie

Lol this sounds a lot like the phone I just won off ebay and I have a new user account. im curious now, what item number are you asking about?

if it is indeed the auction I won, well I get my paycheck at 12:AM midnight tonight so im just waiting a bit :)

8. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I doubt it, i've emailed this guy a few times.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

you need to wait atleast 48 hours and then give a final notice that he needs to pay within 24 hours of sending that message.

also make sure you count in business hours and yes if he doesn't pay, do the second chance and don't give him the time of day.

if he sends you payment just refund it.

10. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Word!

11. tlbwriter macrumors regular

When did you send him an invoice? Was it immediately after the auction ended?

Did the winning bid come in the last few seconds of the auction? If so, it might have been sniped, and the buyer may not be anywhere near a computer right now.

And to those suggesting a second-chance offer... eBay specifies how long the buyer is allowed to wait before paying. It's a fairly long time - 7 days, maybe?

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

aw boy... i hate to see people on eBay get screwed like this.

deff figure this out before listing another item. you need to know how to react to things like this

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Be careful.
    You cannot make a 2nd chance offer until you have pursued and closed an unpaid item claim.

You cannot do that until 7 days after the auction closed.
    AFTER that, eBay will honor your unpaid item claim and THEN you can issue a 2nd chance offer.

So the earliest you could make a 2nd chance offer is 14 days from the time the auction closed.

The only other way to do it sooner is to have the buyer put in a request to withdraw his bid.

If you sell it to someone else before the eBay claim process is completed, eBay could close your account and make you honor the original buyers claim.