Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
Just sold my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro I got on release day, so 1 week short of a year old. Only cost me $200AUD to own for a year.
Was mainly used as a TV in my office which I can do on my 24" iMac anyway, and for browsing crap at night on the lounge while watching TV so could use my 13 max for that or just don't lol.
My home office is central so easy to come in here, have had 1 holiday in 2 years, don't travel for work anymore only do day trips and my 13 max is all I need for that.
Tried a mini was good for books/apps not much diff than my 13 max for browsing, but also have a 11th gen kindle. Was thinking about a 13" MB Air or 14" pro but it's doubling up with macOS, i like my 24" in my office.

So what's next? I dunno? maybe nothing!!

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I gave up all my iPads as well (had the same ones you mentioned) and have an iMac 24” and 13PM. Decided to give dual MacOS systems a shot and to be honest it’s better for me even for media consumption (better adblocking too) so I got a MBP 16” as an iPad replacement. It has ProMotion/XDR, insane battery life, and a bigger screen so with the best thing about the iPad Pro 12.9” (display) gone then what’s the advantage of the iPad? My laptop and phone can last days off a charge when the iPad could barely make one day of heavy use.

Additionally, using universal control with my iMac/MBP 16” is much easier to see than using the iMac/12.9” setup. Price wise, if you have a 12.9” 512gb w/keyboard folio you’re looking at approx $1700 and get less of literally everything compared to a MBP 16 or even 14. Hell, a MBP 14 is about the same price depending on iPad accessories and I’m so over iPadOS I could care less about it or drawing.

My iMac I use for reading, typing, and
browsing the web while my MBP sits off to the side usually playing a video or music connected to some external speakers via Airplay2. All this being navigated by universal control between both devices. Everything else, including bathroom duty, I have my 13PM.

I’m tired of using Apps so unless a new iPad or iPadOS comes out with unheard of features then Apple has lost me in that lineup. Oh yeah, one less device to clean fingerprints off of or accidentally scratch!

Last edited:

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Just sold my 12.9" M1 iPad Pro I got on release day, so 1 week short of a year old. Only cost me $200AUD to own for a year.
Was mainly used as a TV in my office which I can do on my 24" iMac anyway, and for browsing crap at night on the lounge while watching TV so could use my 13 max for that or just don't lol.
My home office is central so easy to come in here, have had 1 holiday in 2 years, don't travel for work anymore only do day trips and my 13 max is all I need for that.
Tried a mini was good for books/apps not much diff than my 13 max for browsing, but also have a 11th gen kindle. Was thinking about a 13" MB Air or 14" pro but it's doubling up with macOS, i like my 24" in my office.

We all make mistakes now and again. I bought a 2013 Mac Pro based on the expectations on OpenCL. In stead of complaining that it did not, I found an excellent CPU renderer for the job. The MP2013 was an excellent machine that could nearly silently handle two large screens and any work including rendering. The MBP could not.

If the Max phones are OK for you, nothing seems like a very nice choice.

Reactions: Dealmans

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
If it's unused and/or doesn't suit your needs, it makes sense to sell it off given its relatively high cost. There's nothing about the iPad or tablets in general that makes them a necessary (or useful) part of a computing solution space for everybody.
I did use it for a week shy of a year, but for the price wasn't worth it. I mean my Sony 65" Tv was only $150AUD more.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
I gave up all my iPads as well (had the same ones you mentioned) and have an iMac 24” and 13PM. Decided to give dual MacOS systems a shot and to be honest it’s better for me even for media consumption (better adblocking too) so I got a MBP 16” as an iPad replacement. It has ProMotion/XDR, insane battery life, and a bigger screen so with the best thing about the iPad Pro 12.9” (display) gone then what’s the advantage of the iPad? My laptop and phone can last days off a charge when the iPad barely could barely make one day of heavy use.

Additionally, using universal control with my iMac/MBP 16” is much easier to see than using the iMac/12.9” setup. Price wise, if you have a 12.9” 512gb w/keyboard folio you’re looking at approx $1700 and get less of literally everything compared to a MBP 16 or even 14. Hell, a MBP 14 is about the same price depending on iPad accessories and I’m so over iPadOS I could care less about it or drawing.

My iMac I use for reading, typing, and
browsing the web while my MBP sits off to the side usually playing a video or music connected to some external speakers via Airplay2. All this being navigated by universal control between both devices. Everything else, including bathroom duty, I have my 13PM.

I’m tired of using Apps so unless a new iPad or iPadOS comes out with unheard of features then Apple has lost me in that lineup. Oh yeah, one less device to clean fingerprints off of or accidentally scratch!
Yeah I am thinking a 14" MacBook Pro, I do like a trackpad it's what I mainly use on my iMac, hated the MKB one, and agree with that universal control between the iMac and iPad, was a real PITA, turned it off.

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
We all make mistakes now and again. I bought a 2013 Mac Pro based on the expectations on OpenCL. In stead of complaining that it did not, I found an excellent CPU renderer for the job. The MP2013 was an excellent machine that could nearly silently handle two large screens and any work including rendering. The MBP could not.

If the Max phones are OK for you, nothing seems like a very nice choice.
I wouldn't say it was a mistake I had a 2018 11" iPad for 2 years before I got the 12.9" last May 21st.

Reactions: sparksd

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Yeah I am thinking a 14" MacBook Pro, I do like a trackpad it's what I mainly use on my iMac, hated the MKB one, and agree with that universal control between the iMac and iPad, was a real PITA, turned it off.
I know you have some hesitations about dual MacOS, as did I, but I say try it. There’s literally no advantage of a top end iPad these days unless you really like iPadOS. MacBooks hold their value well, second to only the iPhone (iPads have the second worst) and you don’t need all the accessories which are a limitation as well. I much prefer typing on the couch, bed, or my lap with my MBP than a Magic Keyboard or folio cover. Like I said, now that ProMotion and XDR can be had in a MacBook the iPad Pro has priced itself out the market IMO.

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
I know you have some hesitations about dual MacOS, as did I, but I say try it. There’s literally no advantage of a top end iPad these days unless you really like iPadOS. MacBooks hold their value well, second to only the iPhone (iPads have the second worst) and you don’t need all the accessories which are a limitation as well. I much prefer typing on the couch, bed, or my lap with my MBP than a Magic Keyboard or folio cover. Like I said, now that ProMotion and XDR can be had in a MacBook the iPad Pro has priced itself out the market IMO.
Yeah not missing it at all. I can get a 8/512 MBA for pretty much what I sold the pro for, 14% off on Amazon, where a 14” MacBook would have to add a minimum $1k even with a 10% discount and tax back, I know the screen would be nicer but for my uses not sure it’s worth it.

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
If you don’t have a need for additional devices, having less can also be a good strategy. Your use cases seem to be well covered by the things you own already. End of the day: don’t sweat it, but from places with a return policy and see what you enjoy the most.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Why not wait a year to see if there are any use cases you discover; otherwise, it doesn't sound like you need a laptop or additional portable device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I gave up all my iPads as well (had the same ones you mentioned) and have an iMac 24” and 13PM. Decided to give dual MacOS systems a shot and to be honest it’s better for me even for media consumption (better adblocking too) so I got a MBP 16” as an iPad replacement. It has ProMotion/XDR, insane battery life, and a bigger screen so with the best thing about the iPad Pro 12.9” (display) gone then what’s the advantage of the iPad? My laptop and phone can last days off a charge when the iPad could barely make one day of heavy use.

It seems like laptop+smartphone just suits your needs better than tablets.

Personally, I have the $2000 12.9” 1TB 5G. No Magic Keyboard and no Apple Pencil 2. I use a Logitech K780 + Logitech MX Ergo Plus (multi-device support, office desk only) + Logitech Crayon.

I don’t need nor want the iPad to be a laptop replacement. I don’t draw but I greatly prefer the iPad for PDF markup, reading (comics and ebooks), as a complement to my Windows desktop at the office, etc.

Admittedly, I do have a 15” ThinkPad on the rare occasions I need to work from home and someone else is using the home desktop.

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
24 hours in and not missing it.

When I got the M1 iPad I had a 2015 27" iMac that was getting a bit slow so sold it while there was some vale in it, actually got $1500AUD, then just tried the 12.9" for a few months like this in photo.
Wasn't enough real estate, didn't like iOS for mail especially and looked stupid on my office desktop lol, so got a 24" iMac.
Hated the MGK so sold it, probably the worst and biggest waste of money on any apple product I have owned.

IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
It has ProMotion/XDR, insane battery life, and a bigger screen so with the best thing about the iPad Pro 12.9” (display) gone then what’s the advantage of the iPad?
The ability to draw directly on the screen is a huge advantage for an artist/designer like myself. I have Wacom tablets on my Macs, but for creative work a wired drawing tablet is not nearly as direct and intuitive as an iPad Pro with Apple Pencil.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
My M1 iPP 12.9 is a secondary device to my M1 iMac which is a perfect set up for my use case thus far i.e professional studies; workshops, research, webinars , note taking, studying and content streaming, socials etc. I am yet to subscribe to the MKB as I prefer the Keychron mechanical keyboard.

Albeit I do tend to use the banking & shopping apps on the iPad just for that quick access and screen estate around the the house, I use my PM iPhone a lot more for everything else.

I have never gravitated towards a laptop for personal use, I tried the M1 MBA at launch as an interim primary device ahead of the iMac release back then, however we parted ways within 3 days and I reverted to just the 2020 iPP. As regards to what's next, I am keeping my?for what ? has in the pipeline for the iPP.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I am yet to subscribe to the MKB as I prefer the Keychron mechanical keyboard.
I’d say go for it!

Similar to you, I was unsure of buying the MKB because I had a Keychron mechanical keyboard. But luckily, I found a deal on a MKB and I went ahead bought it.

And I absolutely enjoy using it. I still use my Keychron keyboard along with the Magic Trackpad for when I’m at the desk… but when away from the desk I use MKB. I like the portability aspect of it and the key travel is a different experience coming for the a mechanical keyboard, but it’s not that bad.

As regards to what's next, I am keeping my?for what ? has in the pipeline for the iPP.
I’m more interested in iPadOS than iPP hardware.

I already made plans to forgo any upgrades this year if Apple release a new iPP, because iPadOS needs to catch up to the iPad.

Reactions: Kiimora

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I get it. The 12.9" Pro turned out to be a bridge slightly too far for my needs in the end. Loved the device, but it didn't fit in the plan anymore once M1 Macs came out.

I have always wanted a mini with Apple Pencil support though, and I'm so glad I jumped in on the mini 6. It is filling into some very specific use cases EXACTLY how I wanted it to. I know a lot of people think it's silly to have a Max sized phone and an iPad mini, but I have very specific reasons for why I like that combo.

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
I get it. The 12.9" Pro turned out to be a bridge slightly too far for my needs in the end. Loved the device, but it didn't fit in the plan anymore once M1 Macs came out.

I have always wanted a mini with Apple Pencil support though, and I'm so glad I jumped in on the mini 6. It is filling into some very specific use cases EXACTLY how I wanted it to. I know a lot of people think it's silly to have a Max sized phone and an iPad mini, but I have very specific reasons for why I like that combo.
Well you can't use a pencil on the 13 max :) I have tried the pencil with a 11" but went back to the old pen and diary. Was just for customers details I can't draw.
Might be better with a mini..

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman0616

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
I think an iPad which can't be used as a Mac replacement would suit you better because it will let you focus on it being a iPad and just an iPad. It will be interesting to see if you would use it more because its doesn't have the bulk of a big one.
You could be right

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
If your needs are covered with 24 and 13PM, then nothing, be happy and enjoy the good sale!

I certainly would!

Reactions: Mackilroy

Dealmans

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2022
If your needs are covered with 24 and 13PM, then nothing, be happy and enjoy the good sale!

I certainly would!
I had a mini 6 delivered today, whoa the jelly scrolling is so Bad, scrolling on it is like trying to read without glasses.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I totally understand the "need" to buy something fancy and flashy when you have freed up some resources, but resist the urge and youre gonna be fine :D!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

2023 or 2024 11” OLED iPad Pro for max portability

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.