Sold Macbook Pro....forgot to format external drive (now what?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by funnyatleast, Jul 4, 2011.

1. funnyatleast macrumors member

I just sold my macbook pro, and I have been using an external hardrive to back up important files. By mistake I turned it into a timemachine hardrive while i still owned the mac. I have NO macs in my house only windows since i just sold it, and windows cant read Timemachine external.

I can go to the apple store and format my drive to FAT32??? (not exactly sure if that is right), will this delete everything on it? If so, then I have no idea what to do, because I need those files.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you format the drive you loose all the data. Don't do that. An Apple Store may be able to help you out.

3. simsaladimbamba

Get another external HDD (if necessary due to HDD capacity constraints on the internal HDD of your Windows computer) and connect both external HDDs to the Windows computer.
    Download the 7-day trial of MacDrive and install it in Windows.
    Now you can read the HFS+ formatted HDD from your Mac and copy all your data (the one you want) from the old HDD to the new HDD and then you can format the old HDD and copy the data back.

4. funnyatleast thread starter macrumors member

wow thanks for the great post, really helped. I am going to try it out right now. Now I dont have to feel awkward standing in a mac store converting my hardrive to FAT32 for an hour.....I will just wait till I buy my new mac, atleast I can access my files now till then.

5. simsaladimbamba

You can't convert HFS+ to FAT32 and know, that the trial of MacDrive will only work for seven days.

6. funnyatleast thread starter macrumors member

then how do i get it to a usable windows format

7. simsaladimbamba

Formatting it.
    I think I misunderstood you saying "converting my hardrive to FAT32 for an hour" as you actually trying to convert you old HDD to FAT32.
    I guess you planned to copy your data off the HDD first.
    To format it, use Disk Management in Windows.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

HFSExplorer is another (free!) option for read-only access to HFS-formatted drives. I use it all the time.

9. funnyatleast thread starter macrumors member

yes i was going to copy everything off the timemachine drive, and if I can format it in windows I will do that.