Sold MBP on craigslist now buyer is complaining

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pvmacguy, Jun 21, 2010.

1. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I recently sold my pre-unibody MBP on craiglist and the buyer text messages me last night saying its having a problem. It is kernel panicking. I told the buyer to do a disk permissions and dipsk check and repair both. I will also be giving them a snow leopard re-install disk which I didn't originally include to try and rectify the situation. Before I sold it it was my daily machine for home and work use and ran perfectly. If it is a ram stick went bad I do have a spare piece to provide them if it comes down to it. What would you all have done in this situation? I do not plan on taking it back.

2. kgallag1 macrumors member

sold macbook pro buyer complaint

Honestly, I'm not sure what else you could do.

Whenever I sell a piece of kit, I insist that the users test the laptop before they leave. Once they've left, it's their responsibility. I have no way of controlling what they've done with the laptop after they've left and they could be playing a scam. Note that this does not include friends and family (who I trust).

Basically, it's up to the buyer to spend enough time testing the laptop to ensure that there are no visible issues.

3. pvmacguy thread starter macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Yeah I made sure we met at a place where the buyer could sit down and play with it for a little while. I also brought my mifi with me so it could connect to the internet. They didn't play with it for too long but were satisfied with what they saw.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did the buyer install any software, or is it KPing out of the blue? Perhaps she's suffering from buyers remorse and is trying to get her money back

5. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

When I sell things on craigslist and people call me with problems when I know the product works 100% I ignore the calls.

Your done with the transaction, there is no feedback like eBay. It's over. If he needs help fixing something tell him to go see Apple or Geek squad. It's no longer your responsibility.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't ignore the calls, but I do tell them that basically its as is. I suppose I've been lucky since what I've sold has not come back to haunt me in any sort of way.

7. turugara macrumors regular

craigslist transactions are final. Help her if you have time but at the end, the sale is final and there are no returns. (Unless your feeling especially generous)

8. pvmacguy thread starter macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

She didn't really say when it kping's but she said it does it. Thanks for the assurance guys that I'm doing the right thing by her. But I'm definetely not taking it back.

9. SASouth macrumors member

A seller's best protection against a suit in small claims court is to provide a bill of sale to the buyer where you outline the exact terms of the sale to the buyer. This is where you can document that the sale is an AS-IS sale, No refunds or returns, no warranty, etc.

Make 2 copies of the bill of sale, one for the buyer, one for you. As a condition of the sale, require a signature from the buyer on both copies and you sign them too.

You'll find that most buyers like the idea of knowing exactly what the conditions of the sale are before plunking down their cash. They also like having a document that passes ownership of what ever you're selling to them.

10. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Agreed. People get into craigslist deals (should) know they're buying an as-is, final sale product of dubious quality. Hence prices are low.

Don't take it back under any circumstances, try your best to help her with what you know but if she doesn't stop hassling you then point her to the closest Apple Store. Buyer beware :)

11. SASouth macrumors member

Actually, the terms of a Craigslist transaction are whatever the buyer and seller agree they are. There is no inherent rule that they are final, as-is transactions.

12. theblueone macrumors member

You've probably already thought of this, but if/when you give the buyer the SL disk, make sure you do it in a similarly public place as when you originally sold it. You never know if she's going to bring someone along to try to bully you into giving her her money back.

13. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

This has happened to me alot. Just tell them its final and be firm. Its also a pain when people think you are their tech support when they buy your computer. Just say no and they will go away soon :)

14. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

To borrow a line from The Hangover, it's like m*****bating on an airplane. There may be no inherent rule but it's generally assumed and taken as a rule by buyer and seller alike... I've sold more than 10 items on craigslist vancouver and not once did I have to tell someone that it was final sale. Plus, it just sounds dodgy when you tell the person to their face :p

15. pvmacguy thread starter macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

She came and picked up the SL disk at the store I was auditing today and then called to thank me for the help I have been giving her that most people on craigslist wouldn't normally do that. So that made me feel somewhat better about the situation. She is going out of town for a month so when she comes back and tries to contact if there is still an issue I'll probably just ignore.

16. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Good idea. That was nice of you to give her the disks i don't think she will contact you again but if she does, ignoring her would be the best option

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

yah

caveat emptor.

I have sold plenty of camera stuff on craigslist, and I always insist that they play with the item thoroughly before leaving, because I have no return policies

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sorry, but you're not IT, and you're not going to provide the buyer with support for 1 year, or 90 days of phone support.