Sold Mini on eBay, buyer wants Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mstgkillr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I just sold my Mac Mini on eBay and the buyer wants Mountain Lion installed instead of Mavericks or Yosemite... Any idea why?

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

That would be a question for him.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

From my experience with both 10.8 and 10.9, I'd want 10.8, too.

Particularly if the Mini in question has an internal HDD...

Aside:
    Although I've found my [admittedly experimental] experience with Mavericks as "unsatisfying" as it gets, I've been more pleased with my impressions of Yosemite. Although to get it that way, I've disabled compressed memory (via Terminal), and also turned virtual memory completely OFF (again, using terminal)...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You tell that buy to pound sand. Did you advertise it with ML? If so, then you are obligated to do something about that. If not, you simply need to tell him no and the product was sold with the OS as advertised. Give him the Apple toll free number and tell him to call them. They'll be happy to help him, I bet.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree, the buyer gets what OS was advertised in the auction and nothing else. It is not your responsibility to be changing the OS for them after the sale. Especially if the buyer already has the machine.

Just be prepared for the buyer to try and claim that it is not what they purchase though. I know it sucks, but Ebay will most likely side with the buyer, so just be prepared.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think in this case the seller is okay so long as ML was advertised. If no OS was advertised then I would also think he would be okay. The buyer didn't mention damage when he wrote him, he mentioned the OS. The initial e-mail would have mentioned all presumed issues. PayPal is buyer-orientated but they also have a duty to side with the party that is in the right.

The OP did not mention what OS was advertised, if any.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I agree with you 100%. But with so many bad buyers on Ebay, it is better to be prepared, is all I was trying to say.

8. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I dunno... is it a 2012 or a late 2011 that shipped with 10.8? Do you have install media for it? Your 'Mavericks or Yosemite' comment suggests you haven't yet wiped and installed a new OS. If you've got 10.8 to hand then how does it inconvenience you? Make a few mouse clicks and wait half an hour, same as any install.

If the purchaser doesn't have access to 10.8 (ie he hasn't previously downloaded it from his Apple ID) then it's tricky to get hold of. It doesn't seem an unreasonable request if you've got 10.8 to hand.

Although I'm not sure the OP was asking whether it was a reasonable request or not, but rather was questioning the purchaser's motivation?

9. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

I can understand why they want Mountain Lion. I run it on my business machine, and have lots of software including Parallels that work well. If I was migrating to a newer machine that could take Mountain Lion, I'd do it in a heartbeat, as I need to work to earn money!, less downtime, less time mucking about with new features the better. My customers would see no interruption in service.

However if you advertised the mac with some other version of OSX on it, then it is their problem. If you omitted to mention the version of OSX, you'll need to be much more clear in future and negotiate.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Legally, considering Apple's license agreement, you should only ship with the OS that originally came on the system. EBAY should side with you on this since they frown on added software because of licensing issues. If you have the distribution media (system old enough to have come with Snow Leopard or earlier), use that. If it originally came with Lion or later, use OS X Internet Recovery to restore the original OS. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718.

11. cinealta macrumors 6502

Mountain Lion (10.8.5) is the most stable, bullet-proof, mission-critical OSX, without social features, that Apple has released. Most people doing digital audio, video, 3D rendering, design etc run their apps on Mountain Lion. It is very lean, streamlined and efficient. No bloatware.