Sold my 09 27" What now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robster3, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Sold my late 09 27" iMac yesterday. I couldn't take the heat in my office anymore, have mainly been using a 15" 8gb MBPr I got last year. Love it although the 256gb is not enough. Have a few questions about a new 27" iMac.
    They run cooler right?
    Will go top model with 16gb and 512gb SSD, will it be faster than my MBPr.
    Is the screen better than my old iMac as far as photos,video, Tv etc.
    How will I like reading on the new iMac, is it clearer than old mac but won't be as good as my MBPr right, will that kill it for me.

Thanks.

2. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

They run SLIGHTLY cooler.

Top model will be faster.

Screen quality will be the same, but the screen will feel closer.

Screen resolution is going to be the same, so its not going to be any clearer.

3. BESLC macrumors regular

I have a new 27" i7 32GB 780M ,with fusion drive. This model is much cooler than my older iMac. I can run my hand around the frame and not feel any noticeable heat. On my older iMac, you could almost burn your hand with the heat on the top of the unit.

In terms of speed, this is much faster than my MBP. I am impressed with how fast it really is.

My older iMac has an LCD screen, the new one is LED. So for me the new screen is much improved. It is bright, crisp and clear.

4. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Why buy another 27" when you state you have been mainly using your MBP anyway? Computers are tools to get things done and it sounds like your current tool works.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just upgraded from a 2009 21" iMac to the 27" i7 512 SSD and 16gb RAM.

Performance difference is night and day. You will absolutely love what the processor and SSD do for that. I am also buying 16gb of RAM from OWC ... not because there's any problem with speed, I am just a glutton for more.

The one surprising thing is the monitor. I don't see that much difference between the quality of the display and the older iMac, though that could just be my old eyes — I am getting my first pair of computer glasses next week.

But what you will find is the native resolution makes everything — most importantly your menu items — smaller. In some programs they are really, really, small and difficult to read.

I'm sure there are fixes for this ... computer glasses for one, zooming in and out with your pinch gestures [though that doesn't change the menu sizes] or changing your resolution.

But that doesn't change the fact that this is a great machine. Buy one. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

6. Robster3, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Same reason i got the first one and probably why most people get one, bigger screen, bigger HD and speed.

----------

So no different when reading Text?

----------

Thats good, my 09 27" was like a heater, what MBP do you have?

----------

My other option is a TBD, i presume the screen on those would be same as my 09 27", anyone know if they get Hot.
    Would go good with my MBPr, could use it for reading and the TBD for photos, video, Tv.
    Would only be spending $120 instead of $2,000 with my $950 i got from sale.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

For some maybe, but for others like myself they are toys. And I like to keep my toys current with the latest gadgetry :D

8. andycho7 macrumors member

Just to clarify, BESLC probably had the model that's before the Aluminum Unibody, which probably was a model from 07-early 09(or even before?). Those models used regular LCD(except for the 24 inch models had IPS panels). All models from late 09 - today uses LED backlit display with IPS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only difference from the 2012 - present models are the fact that the front glass is much closer to the actual LCD panel and making it look like on screen contents are closer. In terms reading texts, I don't think it helps all that much. I myself have 15 inch rMBP and it's clear that reading text is better on this thing than my 27 inch iMac OR 27 inch LED Cinema Display.

9. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree, had a look at the iMac today and sure the screen looks nice but text is similar to my old one, and the Thunderbolt Display would be the same.
    Think I will just keep on with my 15" MBPr. Thanks for the info all.

10. mossy macrumors regular

mossy

Good for you. Enjoy your 15" MBPr.:)

11. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

You should just get a mini it will be quiet , cool and it has decent power .

12. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Or you could just buy a display that doesn't have an Apple logo on it to hook up to your MBP. You can buy a 24" or smaller IPS display for less than $200 with a PPI just as high or higher than either iMac. That should hold you over until/if Apple actually offers something we all want.

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

They run a LOT cooler. I have a 2009 27" iMac and the difference is night a day. The top of my 2009 was ALWAYS burning hot, even when idling. I never had an issue with it, but it was HOT. My 2012 when the screen is off is so cool I really don't even know it's on most of the time.