Sold my iPad 2 today...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMBPx macrumors regular

Couldn't be happier.. got full retail:apple:

The thing was beautiful to look at, nice feeling, but completely un-practical.. I never used it. I think it needs a little more functionality before I can justify having one.

2. rgarjr, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I hear that HP TouchPads are on sale, maybe check those out.

4. Yumunum, Aug 22, 2011

Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I think all experiences are good to share. Little, small, bad, good. For all you know this could sway someone one way or the other when it comes to buying an iPad.

OP, I sold mine two weeks ago... $730 device, wasn't worth it, after the honeymoon phase was over I realized it was impractical and a giant iPhone. Apple's gonna have to really change things with iOS 6 in order to make me think of getting another iPad.

On a side note, I'm attempting (darn you B&N for canceling my order!) to get a Touchpad. Because, for the price, I'm going to install Android on it and I'll have a tablet for $99. Perfect price range because I couldn't justify spending any more than that on something of very little benefit

5. MRU, Aug 22, 2011

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You won't be installing Android on your Touchpad for a long while. The dev of cyanogen mod who is promising a version is the same who is looking after nook color and that is still being ironed out well over a year being ported. He isn't starting the HP project until after the Nook Color is finished.

And remember the Nook Color was already an android device, therefore one would assume less challenging than the Touchpad to get Android running on it.

As for the iPad not being much use to you then the fault isn't the iPad - it just doesn't mar with your usage.

Personally I use my iPad Daily for surfing, email, as a portfolio for work, as a project manager, as a reading device for my magazine subscriptions and kindle books, for listening to podcasts, for drawing and sketching ideas, for exhibiting my photos, for recording music and composing songs and ideas, for printing out invoices for customers whilst away from my main computer, for taking notes and recording radio programs, for catching episodes of TV programs in bed, or downloading them for watching whilst I'm traveling. For playing a plethora of games, for discovering new music and artists, etc.....

Limited functionality is as much if not more a limit of the user and not the hardware completely.

6. xMBPx, Aug 22, 2011

xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

I was on the edge when I bought it, and thought I might help others out who are looking to sell theirs by saying I don't have sellers remorse.

I was on the edge for awhile about getting one, and was actually pretty excited to watch the keynote on the ipad2, etc. even stood in line on launch day during finals week to get mine.

My main reason for selling it is because I use my MBP everyday now that the "honeymoon phase is over" for my iPad.

I thought when I got the iPad I would weave it into my routine where I would use my iPad over the MBP. Such as you would use a laptop over a desktop. But it never got to that stage. It got to the point where it seemed like I had to go out of my way to use it instead of my MBP. Just isn't for me atm.

It was like trying to use my iPhone for things I want to do on a computer.. The iPad OS is too limited. No flash, no file system, having to use apps to do everything.. I'm sorry but it just isn't practical to use the iPad when for a couple extra pounds I can carry my laptop over to my bed and do anything I want.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

so you just figured out that the iPad is not a macbook air?

8. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

No, I figured out the the iPad is a gimmick/novelty item.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

How is it a gimmick. The fact that you were trying to use an iPad as a computer is not the iPad at fault. As for feeling like a tool using it in public, is down to your insecurity and again nothing at all to do with the iPad.

Many schools are embracing the iPad here for electronic text book distribution and e-learning.

No real use for an iPad yet? Again down to user issues and not hardware. I have listed a myriad of things that the iPad does perfectly.

The iPad was never ever meant to replace the laptop or desktop. It's a companion product, but you seem to have missunderstood this and are crying fowl when a square peg won't fit into a round hole.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Okay the flash thing has been argued to death, you knew that when you bought the iPad so I will ignore that one.

The no file system is at worst an inconvenience and with some minor adjustments to your workflow it isn't such an issue for example going to Photos first if you want to email photos. The one area a lack of file system is a bit of a pain is with Apple's own iWork apps as there is no native support for Dropbox. Most people these days don't even really use a file system, have you seen your friends'and relative's desktops and My Documents folders?

Your argument about having to use apps to do everything seemingly doesn't make sense as how would you ever do anything without an app? Are you arguing that Apple should include more apps out of the box or what specifically?

You really need to embrace an iPad and to an extent adapt to it to be able to get the most out of it, I have a MacBook Pro and thought the iPad would be just a play thing especially after using my girlfriend's as that is all she uses her's for but now I use my iPad for just about everything, even part of my day job in enterprise software consulting.

11. Brian4292, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

Brian4292 macrumors newbie

12. Trinatek macrumors newbie

...therefore, what exactly? Does it make his point any less valid?

13. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Just because it doesn't fit into your schedule or uses, doesn't mean it doesn't work great for other people. I, for one, use my iPad every day and I love it. Sorry you didn't.

You knew it didn't have flash, and that issue has been so beaten to death that no one cares anymore. Sorry. The filesystem is not much of a problem. Treat the device less like a regular Windows PC and more like a brand new class of device, which it is, and may not need a filesystem like devices of old. Just takes some getting used too.

Buy a MacBook Air, if it's such a big deal.

14. Walter Bell, Aug 23, 2011

Walter Bell macrumors regular

He didn't say that ipad wasnt for EVERYONE, he said it wasnt for HIM. THe OP is right in most circumstances:

No File System:
    -Seriously? The iPad has been out for this long and there is no way to store files and pdf's natively on the iPad and have them accessible by any of the iWork apps without any addition steps? I want the ability to save a document on my network directly to my iPad, pull up a Finder-Like screen, and choose what app I want to open the file in. Instead im forced to use dropbox, then goodreader/notebook HD or whatever, and then reexport it back to dropbox. What a HEADACHE!

And to do the dude that people dont use file systems anymore, you must be fricken nuts! Most professionals, who are looking to turn to an iPad, use file systems for tons of things (Medical journals/articles, business articles, etc). The iPad has no simple way of managing these files, getting them on/off the device easily.

I think most of you view the iPad incorrectly. The OP is right about the iPad. It does somethings well (Media mainly), however lacks in many areas for productivity and professional use. Sure we can find all kinds of ways to work around this and make it do a somewhat decent job, but nothing is natively built in.

OP I agree with you. I returned the iPad 1 about five times before I decided to buy the iPad 2 and use it for school. Even using it for school is somewhat of a stretch as I have use a multitude of apps to perform basic functions, and the ability to switch between apps is entirely to clunky.

15. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

iPad was never designed for productivity, it was mainly for simple tasks like browsing, e-mail, youtube, etc which it excels at.

16. annk, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Temporarily closed for clean-up...

Edit: Ok, done. Carry on, and please stay on-topic. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.