All iPads Sold my iPad couple questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Sep 30, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I have sold my iPad via eBay and have a couple questions before sending it off. Should I restore and send it off in the "Welcome" screen where you choose wether to sign into an Apple ID, use wifi etc? Or should I send it already on the homescreen?

Which brings me to my third question, is it true if I send it still in that welcome screen that if the new owner selected sign in with Apple ID--the iPad won't allow another ID to be used with it until 90 days? I read something like this and wasn't sure if it were true.

I guess the safe bet would be for me to just send it off already on the homescreen so no problems arise

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Welcome screen or home screen - doesnt matter

Apple ID - no any apple id can sign in - no waiting 90 days

3. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Are you sure here is the thread I was reading, they won't run into something like this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4895434?start=0&tstart=0

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Go here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

Scroll down to section called "Removing an associated device or computer from an Apple ID"

Once you click "Manage Devices," you should see whether or not your iPad is associated with your iTunes account, and if it is, how many days you have until it can be reassociated with a new account.

As far as I can tell, not being associated to an iTunes account means you can't use iTunes Match, and you can't turn on automatic downloads (buy app / media on one device, it downloads automatically on all other devices). You can still sign in to iTunes/App/iBooks Store using whatever iTunes account you want to use, and download your previous purchases manually, or you can sync the contents from a computer through iTunes. That said, I've been careful not to turn on automatic downloads on any of my devices, and I never signed up for iTunes Match. Can't guarantee what will happen if automatic downloads or iTunes Match has ever been turned on on your iPad.

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I see, yea that makes sense and sounds correct. I actually did do the above to check and my iPad wasn't listed there under registered devices just my iPhone 5. I think they should be in the clear then w/ no wait if they wanted to use iTunes match or auto-enabled downloads. I'm like you I've never used either of these features so perhaps that's why my device isn't showing up here?

Thanks guys

6. bobright, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013

bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hopefully, that and that they don't continue to receive iMessages from my account. The horror stories you hear I restored it 3x for good measure. It was sent off yesterday. :eek:

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Wasn't the solution to turn off iMessage before you restore?

Anyway, haven't seen that issue come up in a while, so hopefully Apple has sorted it out on their end.

8. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I'm not sure as its never happened to me just heard it mentioned here. I hope it's sorted I didn't turn them off, the repeated restores should make it wiped though. I did go into the messages app at one point and it was empty.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not sure what you think multiple restores would do that is not done with the first restore, but well, it's out of your hands now. As I said, I haven't seen anything on this issue for a while, so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hell I don't know paranoid just for peace of mind?! Lol