Sold my iPhone, need some help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tayloner182, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tayloner182 macrumors member

Ok, I sold my 8 month old iPhone for near $400 (which shocked me). Before I mail it, I'm gonna pop out my SIM card and pop it into my old phone so I have something to use until July 11th.

My first question is, I have jailbroken my phone before, but I was an AT&T customer so I did not need to unlock it. I have to jailbreak and unlock my phone before I send it to the buyer. I used ZiPhone before, and I'm going to use it again. However, I'm a bit confused on how the process works. Specifically, I should only jailbreak and unlock my phone, not activate it, correct? Also, should this be done before or after removing my SIM card? Or does it matter?

Second, the fact that I sold my iPhone a month early and am using another phone with my SIM card from my old iPhone will not affect my ability to purchase a 3G iPhone on July 11th, correct? As in, contracts won't be affected and it will still only cost $199 or $299 plus whatever 3G data plans are going up to.

I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get some peace of mind. If anyone can clarify, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

2. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Not sure about the first part of your question... but the second part....
    As stated in the news section, you'll have no choice but to sign another 2 year agreement to get a new 3G iphone. I'm pretty sure there's no way around this except for signing up for the 2 year contract and canceling it which I think you have 15 days or so to do so.
    I think you sold your first gen iPhone way too quickly. Should have just kept it and be happy with it. The new iphone only offers minimal upgrades. 3G is great but for an extra $10 bucks a month, it's not. I don't mind waiting for EDGE to kick in. ATT&T is going to screw all new iphone customers with that.
    $10x100,000 units per person = 10,000,000 (average example)

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

$10 x 100,000 = $1million, not $10million. :)

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I can agree with everything except your math skills.

5. tayloner182 thread starter macrumors member

I actually don't really mind the $10 a month, I figured there was going to be something that included in the 3G data plan. The way I look at it, I can get what in my opinion is a more solid phone, and pocket around $200 in the process. I know some people aren't sold on 3G, but when you can sell your old iPhone for twice as much as the new one costs, its a no brainer. Obviously, in the long run you're paying more for the 3G because of the extra $10 per month, but $10 per month, basically like $0.30 per day, is totally worth it for someone like me who is constantly on the internet on my phone. Now, if this new iPhone had a removable battery, I would probably pay $1000 dollars for it. Maybe next year though, eh.

Anyone else have answers for my original question?

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You should restore your iPhone in iTunes to firmware 1.1.4 then use the pwnage tool to jailbreak, unlock and activate it. Leave your sim card in the phone whilst you do it.

The pwnage method is much safer and more reliable than Zibri which will downgrade the bootloader if you use it to unlock the phone.

There is a very good tutorial on the pwnage tool with all you need to know here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=462648

Personally, I think that you are doing the right thing unloading your iPhone whilst it is still worth something. I've managed to sell 4 iPhones owned by members of my family over the last few days, and every single one went for more than the original price! How often can you say that for second-hand electrical goods?