Sold my iPod and deleted photos on it can the buyer still recover my photos?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Haribo22, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Haribo22 macrumors member

Hello,

I sold my iPod Touch 5th Generation, and about 2 years ago I had some photos of documents I don't want anyone to see and deleted them 2 years ago, can the person who bought my new phone recover the photos I deleted, also before I sold my iPod I erased all content but is it still possible for the person who bought it to recover the photos of documents I deleted 2 years ago?

2. Siobhan98 macrumors member

I just sold my iPad and was wondering this as well

3. deaglecat macrumors 6502

Which IOS version ? On IOS 8 onwards they did filesystem encryption by default. A full "erase all contents and settings" wipes the key and you should be fine.

unless you are worried about the NSA... in which case.. who knows ?

4. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

5. Siobhan98 macrumors member

I bought my iPad in november 2014 and I never updated my device so what version of iOS should it have been running? :D

6. deaglecat macrumors 6502

IOS7 Sept 2013
    IOS8 Sept 2014
    IOS9 Sept 2015

... there is a pattern here ! But who knows what version was on an Ipad bought in 2014 because it could have been old stock. The Ipad model will give you an indication of the earliest release date and IOS version.

To be honest, if you had a passcode and then subsequently did a full erase you are probably fine. Even with earlier IOS versions, it is just that IOS 8 did more encryption by default.

7. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way I can see what version of iOS it was running through the serial number?

8. deaglecat macrumors 6502

devices still associated with your apple id can be viewed at https://appleid.apple.com/

not sure when erased or sold/registered devices disappear from that page

seriously... why worry ? if you sold to some random dude then v.unlikely that he would try to forensically recover it

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Two years ago?
    It's a bit late for crying into your beer, eh?

The only info that you could find out with the serial number would be when it was manufactured, and from that you can deduce what iOS version it originally came with. You could not have access to any newer info (unless you still owned it)

Moving forward - you should always restore an iOS device to factory defaults when you sell it, not just delete your pictures.

10. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

i did restore it to defaults

11. Siobhan98 macrumors member

I have a question, I made a backup of my iPad on iTunes on my macbook, will this backup only be available on the macbook I made it on or will the person who bought my iPad be able to use that back up when they sync the iPad to their computer.

12. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

Im not sure, I hope they can't access backups I've made on my computer as they'd have access to everything I had on there

13. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

14. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

Can they recover any of the data on my iPod before I erased and put it to default?

15. deaglecat macrumors 6502

who are "they" ?

the average joe...no
    tech savy and willing to get a commercially available IOSrecovery program ...probably still no if you did a full reset, used a passcode and a modern ios.
    the nsa ?... who knows... tweet edward snowden for an answer if that is your concern

16. Siobhan98 macrumors member

Can the person who bought my iPad see the backups I made on their macbook, or pc?

17. deaglecat macrumors 6502

there is no remote connection back to your macbook over the internet. so no danger that the person who has it can recover data from your macbook.

but there may be an icloud backup of your device (held on apples servers) associated with your apple id (if you had that feature switched on). to access that data the other person would need your apple id and password...

Irrespective I would recommend you protect your apple id with a good password (mixed case, numbers and special characters), tough security challenge questions or even better 2 step verification turned on.

18. Siobhan98 macrumors member

ok, awesome, would my iPad have been logged out of iCloud when i erased the data on it? If so would that mean I would need a new apple ID as mine already has a good password.

Thanks

19. deaglecat macrumors 6502

btw...should really remove the activation lock prior to sale - that is an anti theft feature which stops someone stealing your device and then using it with their account. otherwise the buyer may not be able to activate it.

irrespective, you dont need a new apple id. a full erase all contents and reset ... not just a network settings reset ...will clear your device including icloud login. the new owner would not know your apple id and password so he does not have control of this.

look at it the other way... if you want to restore from your icloud backup then you need to follow these steps https://support.apple.com/kb/ph12521?locale=en_GB. which require you to reauthenticate (login) to icloud.

20. Siobhan98 macrumors member

ok, thanks very much for your help. You have been very kind and put my mind at ease. Have a happy easter! :)