Sold my late 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cydone, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Cydone macrumors newbie

I put up my fully specced rMBP for sale, basicly just to check. But then this dude offered me just about what I paid for it back in october 2013 (minus about 100USD). And I was like, why would you do that..

And so I ended up selling it.

My main reasons
    1. I'm going on a longer backpacking trip (months) and prefer having the cash in the bank, rather than in my backpack.
    2. I have come to dislike the keyboard on the Macbook Pro Retina. For some reason I found it to be very wobbly and clicky. I know its just me being perfectionist, but at that price, I want it to be smooth.
    3. Its simply overkill for me. I don't need all that power. I do alittle video editing, and image work, but far less could do it.
    4. I have come to like the Air more and more. And is it just me, or is the keyboard on the Air less clicky/more smooth than on the rMBP ? I think so. Its much nicer to write on, and I write alot!
    5. 2000USD+ is a massive amount of money to spend on anything, much less a computer. So feels kinda nice having that cash in my hands again.
    6. IF you want to sell a Late 2013 rMBP, the time is about now, before the next cycle.

I did like it alot, but when someone offers me almost what I paid for it, considering the above, I had to sell!

I have rebooted my old 13" 2006 Macbook white! Believe it or not, it still runs like a charm. Will be looking at getting a lower specced Macbook Air, when they get their Retina displays, and slimmer bezel..

Cheers :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Different strokes for different folks, if you're happy with the 2006 laptop and you needed the money for a trip, then yeah it made sense for you to sell it.

Enjoy your trip

3. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

A trip is a trip in its place !! But how can something ever take place of your computing needs !! I Wouldn't trade a trip for a notebook that too a Apple Retina Notebook for a trip and vice-a-Versa ! Oh c'mon that is not replaceable !! Period !!

4. twingo macrumors regular

I bought the retina macbook because it is the best notebook for me. It is overpowered for just reading and writing, but i use it several hours a day and i cannot imagine selling it within the next 3 years. The perfect setup with parallels, win7 and my programs did cost me 3 days. So i even wouldn't give it away for the original price.

5. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I agree a retina Macbook Air is going to be the "sweet spot" for many non power users and should be a wildly popular computer when it comes out.

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Its already out its called the 13" 4gb/128gb MBPr:)

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah I was also wondering what someone would expect from a retina Air that the 13'' rMBP not already provides... retina, thinner bezel, marginally thicker and only 200 grams heavier, but so much more power. And the extra battery life of the Air would be lost anyways with the retina screen.

8. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Sounds more like you bought a machine that was beyond your means, and also beyond your needs.

If I were you, I would sell the old Macbook for a few hundred and buy the baseline retina refurb (1,099). If the 2006 Macbook suits your needs, then the current baseline surely will and you get the perks of a way better computer and battery life.

9. Ncage1974 macrumors member

My new rMBP is on the way. I went with it for one reason and its not the reason most people go with it (16GB of RAM). I need lots of memory for my use case. i will constantly be running vms and sometimes more than 1. I'm a win developer that hates windows :). I sure hope i don't hate the keyboard like you did. To be honest the resolution on my 2012 is just fine with me. I'm sure the retina will look really nice but its just not important for me. If you could have bought a mba with 16GB of ram thats what i would have went with.

10. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Freakonomics covered this exact issue. Money spent on things never compare to the happiness gained from money spent on experiences.

An experience will give memories that last a life time. A MacBook pro is nice, but he says he has an old MacBook that works just fine, so it's not like he is going without a computer completely.

11. accountforit macrumors 6502a

He also never stated he needed the money for the trip. He stated he put it in the bank.

12. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I was thinking about a retina replacement for the current 11.6" MBA that would weigh only 2.4 lbs. I think the public really wants a smaller and lighter retina model than the current 13" 4gb/128gb MBPr. How do I know? Look at all the posts from folks who said they downgraded to a 11.6 or 13.3 MBA from a 13.3 MBP to save 1/2 to 1 lb in weight.

13. accountforit macrumors 6502a

The air 13" will no longer exist in the near future.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Like i said it's already out:)