Sold my Macbook Alu, what to do next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Floris88, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. Floris88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #1
    I just sold my almost 2 year old Macbook 2.4 GHz unibody...

    I did always regret somewhere that I bought that one, 2 years ago I went to store to pick up my ordered MBA ssd but ended upwith the macbook and à 24inch cinema display. It was the best of both worlds, portable and at homepage I could Dock it up... but I came from a MBP 15 inch and the first alu 13 inchers had bad panels in the screens.

    I, as a student... Im still in love with the MBA, so after the recent major update I was already thinking to purchase it after all... But, I'm also considering the MBP 15 inch i5 highress antiglare, maybe(!not necessary) I should sell my ACD when I will buy the mbp to finance it. The pros and MBP is the screen estate and de possibility to keep it for the long run ( a few years) because I can put a SSD in it later on or so... And has the backlight keyboard and all the connections. The only bad thing is that it is bigger en really heavy to bring to the library on the bike, or to college. Both of the machines will do my tasks without a problem, I used to do some PS stuff and video but not anymore or on a regular basis.

    So should I backorder my Macbook Air 13 inch, 1.86 ghz 4gb 256ssd and go for the future with the MBP?

    Really need your help guys, keep in mind it is my primary machine....
    I've been lurking around for weeks here now to make my decision

    Ps.

    A temporary solution might be to grab the 11 Inch MBA for the time being until the MBP's getting their update in January or April and sell the MBA at that time....
     
  2. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Time is running out, your advice is appreciated
     
  3. hamlin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2010
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
  4. iVX macrumors newbie

    iVX

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    Location:
    Northern Ireland
    #4
    What will you be using the computer for? Your a student,what is it that you are studying?
     
  5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Location:
    Kenya
    #5
    It sounds like a MBA -- possibly the 11.6" version -- would suit you nicely. You already have the 24" display for when you need screen space.
     
  6. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #6
    Don't be in a hurry. If you buy something in a big hurry, you are almost guaranteed to overlook something and will regret your decision. No matter how quickly people respond in here, you are stuck with the result of your decision and our advice. I notice these threads come up fairly often. I sold my xxx what should I buy now? I would already have something in mind before parting with my old machine. Now that you are "between machines", you feel pressure to get something "right now" and you run a much higher risk of picking something less than optimal for your situation.

    You sold the old machine but still have the monitor, right? So you can get anything from a Mac Mini to a 17 inch MBP and do fine but you like the new MBA. If you need a machine now and the one you want is on backorder, why are you even thinking about waiting? If time is of the essence, get what you can now and live with it. If what you get is more important than when you get it, slow down. Add some more details of your expected usage to this thread and wait for more responses. You can even make a little chart that ranks size, weight, cost, speed, inputs (don't forget that there's no firewire on MBA's and Apple refuses to come to the USB 3.0 party right now). Once you see everything written down, it should be easier for you to decide.

    But if you really want to leave the decision to me, I think you need a liquid cooled, diamond encrusted 8 core Mac Pro with a 150 inch monitor, and a 1.21 Gigawatt surround sound system all powered by your very own dedicated hydroelectric plant. :D
     
  7. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #7
  8. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Thanks Rok!

    Dont get me wrong, I'm thinking of this for a long time and decided to wait till the MBA update found place...

    I study media and culture, so I have to make lots of papers, (pro) presentations and maybe some video and photoshop.

    I was convinced to get the MBA but then I realized the resale value would be less then the MBA and it's important to me for later.

    The main problem I had with my MacBook was the screensize, so the 15" would fit me better but is big and clunky and the MBA has now a high res...

    I think it's not the right time to pick up a MBP because of the updates Q1 2011...
     
  9. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #9
    4-5 months is a long time to wait if you need a computer now. One option to consider is buying what you need now and planning to resell it when the new MBP line comes out. It will very likely cost more in the long run but you don't have to do without for so long. And you have to assume some risk since you don't know how much you could get for selling whatever computer you might pick up now.
     
  10. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #10
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    True, thats why its so difficult... so I was thinking to get the cheapest MBA for the time being, and sell it later on.

    So which one do you recommend?
     
  11. SidBala macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #11
    The cheapest MBA.

    But you will hate yourself for the screen estate. You should get a MBP 15 high-res or MBP 17 for the work you do.
     
  12. filfortugno macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #12
    lmaoo
     
  13. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #13
    I agree. Get the 11in MBA. You still have the external monitor from before so you really aren't stuck with a tiny screen all the time. You'll likely get more of what you pay back for the 11in MBA which just came out than you might get for a mbp which is mid to late cycle.

    Once again, wait a bit. Let apple come out with a fix the main board issue before you buy.

    I'm thinking about an 11in MBA myself. I don't need a machine yet so I'm waiting. But the 11in MBA is on my short list.
     
  14. digitalhen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    #14
    How much did you get for it?
     
  15. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #15
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    750 euro, around 1000 bucks
     
  16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #16
    Sounds like what you really want is a 15" MBA.


    I know the 15" MBP is heavier, but personally, I find my 15 MBP to be worth carrying around. Oh, and I ride a bike.

    I think you want the 13" MBA, so that's what I think you should get. ;) However, would it be that much better than your old 13" MBP, which you weren't happy with? Probably not, and you'd be in the exact same situation.
     
  17. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #17

    No thats not the point, for me the MacBook had à low res, bad screen and was heavy.

    Problem is That the MBP's are end/mid life cycle, thats making the choice difficult. Just heard That my MBA 13 inch arrived in the store... Aargh
     
  18. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #18
    wait for 2011 MBP, I think we may see some major changes to the line, such as SSD standard (or option) etc..
     
  19. Floris88 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam
    #19
    Just picked up the MBA 2.13ghz 4gb 256ssd...
    maybe if we see a major update of the MBP's I will sell this one, but for now I think I made the right choice, it is really smooth

    Thanks for the tips and advice!
     

Share This Page