Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
hey

so i sold my old mbp on ebay and now i wonder whats the best way to reinstall a clean version of mountain lion. ive done it a couple of times with my physical cd of Snow Leopard but i never actually tried to reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch.

i know theres a guide on how to reinstall mountain lion on the apple page obviously but as i'm selling it i'm wondering whats the best way.

i dont want to break it after having it sold lol

can i burn mountain lion on a dvd?

can i boot holding one of those keys (forgot which one) to wipe my SSD and then reinstall it on this SSD from the DVD? or is it necessary to make a bootable usb? how about external harddrive. can i install Mountain Lion from a time machine backup with nothing else but the OS?

and one more question, how long do u think its gonna take to "secure wipe" an 128 SSD?

p. s. sry for my english

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
make a new user that's an admin, then securely erase your existing users home folder. No need to re-install.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
make a new user that's an admin, then securely erase your existing users home folder. No need to re-install.
That won't remove all traces of the former user, as some data is stored outside the user's folder. A clean install is a more secure method to ensure no user information is left behind.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
That won't remove all traces of the former user, as some data is stored outside the user's folder. A clean install is a more secure method to ensure no user information is left behind.

i just tried the recovery cmd+r method but its telling me there isnt a "LION" copy linked to my ID ... hello? im trying to install mountain lion again not LION and my retina mbp came with Mountain Lion installed. also, when i try to "purchase" it at the store, its telling me "this computer doesnt support mountain lion"

weird

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.