Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I run a small business using the regular 2018 iPad. I have a portable Bluetooth keyboard and the Pencil. I mainly use the pencil for note taking, signing documents and image editing. I have to post a lot of images on social media and I find the pencil really useful. The keyboard is mostly used for blogging.

I have an app for invoices and another for accounting. Everything syncs to my iPhone - ie I can do imaging/invoices/accounting on the go if necessary and everything will then sync with my iPad.

As for watching videos and casual web surfing. Unless I’m on holiday I rarely have time for that!

It’s basically my laptop replacement. Would an iPad Pro do a better job? Maybe. Would I ever get that extra money I spent on a Pro back in extra sales? Probably not. Would I buy one of the new iPad Pros? - maybe, they look kind of cool :)

Reactions: sracer

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
The reason why I picked the Pro instead of the regular iPad because of storage. Otherwise, the regular iPad is awesome!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
That’s my feeling on it as well right now. Once they do a true upgrade to iOS for the pro models and make them a more true laptop alternative, it seems like a lot of wasted money for a prettier screen and louder speakers. Maybe next year on iOS 13 will be the year it finally gets a more proper file system and mouse support. Add those things and I’ll be sold

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Sounds kinda like they have the older 9.7" Pro, in which case the 2018 model is a speed upgrade because the A10 is faster than the A9X. But the 9.7" has a better 12MP camera, a much better 5MP FT camera, 4K recording, four speakers, and true tone display. So if they only care about speed but don't want to spend a lot, then I guess it makes sense. Otherwise it doesn't. Oh and I think most reviews showed that the 2018 iPad has better battery life, and I know it has a bigger battery, but I don't know the exact times. So speed/battery vs. better cameras, speakers and display calibration.
Speed, there's barely any difference. Really only noticeable in benchmarks.

From OP's comments, it actually seems like OP has the 12.9" Pro in which case, switching to the 2018 9.7" iPad makes a lot more sense.
[doublepost=1541547599][/doublepost]
That’s my feeling on it as well right now. Once they do a true upgrade to iOS for the pro models and make them a more true laptop alternative, it seems like a lot of wasted money for a prettier screen and louder speakers. Maybe next year on iOS 13 will be the year it finally gets a more proper file system and mouse support. Add those things and I’ll be sold
Lol, I think the most I paid for a laptop was ~$700 so even with those upgrades it's still not quite a "shut up and take my money" scenario for me.

I do prefer iOS for tablet use so I'm waiting until the 1TB config hits my target price range (~$1300-1500) before biting. :p

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

From OP's comments, it actually seems like OP has the 12.9" Pro in which case, switching to the 2018 9.7" iPad makes a lot more sense.
Lol, I think the most I paid for a laptop was ~$700 so even with those upgrades it's still not quite a "shut up and take my money" scenario for me.

I do prefer iOS for tablet use so I'm waiting until the 1TB config hits my target price range (~$1300-1500) before biting. :p
Definitely usage dependant for sure. I have been waiting for some more gaming oriented ultra books to hit the market for a not so insane price, but the iPad might beat them to the punch if they can get the software onboard

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
The regular iPad is a great device and easily the best tablet (Pro aside). It's just that this is an enthusiast forum so of course you have people favoring the Pro over the regular one. I mean people here even favor the 12.9" over the 11" even though chances are that the 11" is the most popular Pro model (and of course the regular iPad is the most popular of all).
The only reason why I will get a 10.5 now is due to the 2018 iPad bottlenecking and freezing in Procreate and Safari tabs constantly crashing and reloading. I can and have gotten by (the Procreate freezes are more annoying than Safari). Otherwise, the 2018 iPad is a solid iPad, and could be fine for people who do not want or need an iPad Pro.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom

It was a 10.5” model. Only draw back is I am down to 32gb storage.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I refuse to jump on the IPads bandwagon and spend almost £800. I replaced my iPad Pro with a 2018 iPad which still supports pencil. That way I can upgrade my iPad next year in March 2019 or Wait until 2020 and atleast the budget model doesn’t cost more than a Mac!

If you don’t need pro speed & features, nothing wrong with selling your pro & going with the regular 2018 iPad. But if you intend to upgrade to a pro iPad in 2020, be prepared to pay even more for it than the 2018 iPad pros! Just saying. Apple has been increasing their prices every year. And if the 2020 iPad Pro is OLED or MicroLED, They will definitely cost more.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
One way to look at it is that you can buy a Mac Min + 2018 iPad for the price of an iPad Pro + Keyboard Folio. So, if you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse (which almost everybody does), you have a full desktop computer plus a great tablet for lighter mobile productivity. I have a 2017 iPad, and I can actually get a lot done on the go......using a mobile operating system when mobile :). Leave the heavy lifting for the comfort of your office and a full sized monitor and keyboard experience.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If you don’t need pro speed & features, nothing wrong with selling your pro & going with the regular 2018 iPad. But if you intend to upgrade to a pro iPad in 2020, be prepared to pay even more for it than the 2018 iPad pros! Just saying. Apple has been increasing their prices every year. And if the 2020 iPad Pro is OLED or MicroLED, They will definitely cost more.
...or maybe by 2020 Apple will need to change direction and have a cheaper Pro... just saying. ;):D

Reactions: kazmac

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
If your goal is to hold on to your iPad to 2020, I think any of the existing pro models can achieve that goal easily. No need to change to a 2018 regular iPad, unless you made a profit in the process.

Reactions: nburwell

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
...or maybe by 2020 Apple will need to change direction and have a cheaper Pro... just saying. ;):D

Hey, it’s possible. But I think the gap between regular iPads & pro iPads is only going to widen. I am really curious what kind of update the 9.7” and iPad mini will receive in March. Will they slim their bezels? Will they be able to use the new Apple Pencil? I don’t think so. But it should be interesting.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hey, it’s possible. But I think the gap between regular iPads & pro iPads is only going to widen. I am really curious what kind of update the 9.7” and iPad mini will receive in March. Will they slim their bezels? Will they be able to use the new Apple Pencil? I don’t think so. But it should be interesting.
Given Apple is keeping the A10X Pro 10.5 in the lineup, I reckon the chances of seeing an updated 9.7" model next March has dropped.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Should've got the 10.5" iPad Pro instead. Don't want to pay retail? Buy it used, many folks are selling theirs because of the new Pros.

Once you go 120Hz, you can't go back to nothing less.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Price difference between 128gb LTE 6th gen vs 256gb pro LTE was $700 in Canada. Would you pay that difference to go over to the pro?

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I did the same this year. While the iPad Pro has gotten way more capable and expensive, the entry-level iPad has become way more capable and less expensive. On the whole, there's very little for iPad users to complain about.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Until iOS is up to the task, the best iPad will continue to be the cheap one.
It’s funny, when iOS 11 was released, it was considered to be an iPad-centric release that really made the iPad more of a productivity tool. Here we are a year later and the whole spitt view, slide over features really do not make the iPad anywhere near as easy to multitask as a Mac or Windows device.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My wife has the 2018 iPad for work, and I couldn’t give up the laminated display and speakers of my 10.5 for one.

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
I've been there, the benefits are overstated IMO.

I had a look at the 2017 12.9" on Sunday.

I scrolled quickly through the PowerPoint (Asian / Oriental themed ?) sample document to see how the 120Hz looked. I was surprised to see that it wasn't smooth at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.