Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
So I've just sold my 2009 2.0GHz mini for SD$660 (US$510), which I think is a fair price, one that I'm ok with anyways. The machine is being collected next week.

But now I'm confused...

I sold the mini as I wanted to get the new Elgato EyeTv HD, and the min spec on that is for a 2.26GHz machine; my 2009 mini just misses.

So I do want to get a new mini, but here's the problem, according to the Buyer's Guide I should probably wait...

Additionally, I also have a 60GB OWC SSD that was about to be dropped into the 2009 mini. [But then if I wait for a new mini model, perhaps it'll have a flash boot drive?]

I'm also unsure of the best way to transfer all my data to the new machine.

Options:
1.) Would it be best to buy a mini now, (as the specs are fine for my HTPC purpose), and use Migration Assistant.

2.) Clone the mini's HDD to the OWC SSD and drop it into a new mini now, (or use Time Machine..?).

3.) Wait for the new model which may or may not come soon... and possibly re-appropriate the SSD into my MBP (which currently has Intel 160GB + 160GB HDD). [The mini is part of a HTPC setup, so not crucial that I have it up now, but would be a pain if I have to wait too long to replace.]

4.) other suggestions?!

I think I'm leaning towards option 2, with the base model 2.4GHz, (or would the 2,66 be worth it?). I have 4GB RAM left over from my iMac too which I could upgrade into mini.

But then will I suffer buyers-regret when (or is that, if) SB minis come in (hopefully) Feb, (but more likely, Apr/May)?

So to summarise:
The best way to transfer data to new machine is..?

Also, in your opinion, what machine should I move to..?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
For an HTPC the 2.4Ghz CPU will be fine. It has an HDMI port on the current model, and you have an SSD to put in it.

For what you are after, don't force yourself to wait. Get it and be happy!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
For an HTPC the 2.4Ghz CPU will be fine. It has an HDMI port on the current model, and you have an SSD to put in it.

For what you are after, don't force yourself to wait. Get it and be happy!

I'm thinking similar thoughts. it's just seen a redesign, so pretty sure that won't change (on the outside at least). And for my uses the 2.4 C2D should be ok. [But then the EyeTv HD does reply on processor speed for converting data in realtime; faster = better quality, as advertised.]

also, how do you suggest I best get the data onto the new mini? CCC, Time Machine..? (iTunes/iPhoto libraries etc on external, so really only OS +Apps)

Also, with the old mini, do I need to use another mac and Target Mode to zero out the drive?

(I've only ever given away my old Macs to family, so selling to an unknown is causing me a little stress.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Get the stuff onto the new mini however you see fit...CCC/Time Machine...

As far as 0'ing out the old drive, target mode will work. You can also boot into the Mac OS X Install disk and do it from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.