Sold on iMac, need vid card help/advice (Warcraft)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Secundinius, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Secundinius macrumors newbie

As the title states, I am sold on the iMac (24") for my next computer. I currently have a 13" MacBook from March of 2008, but the lack of a video card makes playing games a bit of a drag.

I have been looking into the iMac since I got my laptop, but I have been hearing some problems related to both vid cards (NVIDIA and ATI) in regards to playing Warcraft. I've searched thru google and found thread after thread on both of them causing errors and gameplay issues, but it seems that it's mainly on Vista systems.

If someone could give me advice on which card to get:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512MB or
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

and weather or not they cause issues in Warcraft with Macs, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. gorebeast macrumors newbie

gorebeast

i play the mac version of WoW on my 2008 MBP....it has 256 ram graphics card.

i run through an external monitor at 1600x1200 and the graphics card has just enough power to have me running smooth in most situations, but i definitely have moments of graphic lag.

I would recommend either of the 512mb cards....i think you'd be fine with the nvidia, but if you have extra money to waste, then get the ATI

3. Secundinius thread starter macrumors newbie

So there are no issues with either card/software on Macs with the game?

Thanks for you help. I was leaning towards the ATI from the start but remembered hearing people complain about it having issues with WoW.

4. gorebeast macrumors newbie

gorebeast

no issues? no product is issue-free.

i've read that people used to get crashes with the ATI card, but according to some, after a May2009 Apple patch the crashes did not occur (or did not occur as much)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16137218063&sid=1&pageNo=2

i had some issues (maybe 6 moths ago) where the game would freeze and i'd have to reboot, but that problem seems to be gone now.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I have the 2400HD (128MB) and WoW plays fairly smooth on mid settings, so I'd imagine that WoW would play fairly well on anyone of those cards with mid-high settings. Just turn off shadows and don't go crazy with AA and you should be fine.

You should probably considering getting the 512MB card though, just for longevities sake.