Solder a miniplug onto stock earbuds?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by c2c4c, Jul 11, 2012.

1. c2c4c macrumors newbie

I have a lot of different headphones I like to listen to music with, some of which do not have a mic or volume control. (Koss PortaPro, for example)

Anyone on here have any electronics soldering ability?

I would like a stock set of iphone earbuds with the buds chopped off and a 1/8" female headphone jack added. This should allow me to use any set of headphones and retain the mic and volume control functionality.

[​IMG]

admittedly, I'm not the first to have this idea. Found an article here explaining how to do it. I just don't have the soldering skills. http://www.tested.com/news/feature/2292-how-to-make-any-pair-of-headphones-smart-phone-capable/

Anyone up for it?

2. larock macrumors member

While it looks like a fun project, why not just buy a headphone adapter that has the mic and buttons?

Here's one example

3. c2c4c thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ray- macrumors regular

Ray-

That's certainly doable, but soldering headphone wire is so annoying. They are so thin, stripping the plastic is hard enough if you don't have a wire stripper, and then you have to melt the plastic off the wires themselves. Eck!

On the other hand, you have to think if you really want to do that. You're going to end up with a total length of headphone wire that's a couple meters long, and the mic/control will be all down the middle. You'd have to hold the mic with your hand everytime you want to use it, not exactly "hands free" anymore.

5. c2c4c thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've heard it's a difficult thing to do, and since I'm a novice at soldering I thought I'd ask on here of there were any pros.

As for the extra length of cord, I did think about that too, but I could use a clip like a lavalier/lapel mic has on the collar of my shirt. Lots of wire dangling, but better than holding the mic. Would be only for occasional use anyway.

I'm having some work done on my guitar next week, and I may ask the tech if he could solder it up for me.

Any suggestions on an aftermarket version you've tried that isn't junk?

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Regarding wire length: If you go the DIY approach you indeed may end up with a lot of cord. But, on the upside, the remote can be further (i.e. more "remote") from the phone than with the "store-bought" approach.

I've probably done half a dozen earbud soldering projects, and while I've been successful each time, it always felt like a miracle. So, if the cord length is OK, I'd suggest trying the one on Amazon, and just try to be gentle with it.

Regards,
    Tom