Soldered RAM likely on future iterations of MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichWatts, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RichWatts, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

RichWatts macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new - obviously, post count 0.

I have been reading a lot about Apples quest (obsession) for paper thin devices and how the rMBP have there RAM soldered to the logic boards - making RAM upgrades impossible and repairs extremely difficult.

I was wondering if Apple will continue with this design choice and start soldering RAM in the MBP's that are due later this year? Oh and possibly future iterations of MBP's & iMac's.

Thanks

2. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Nobody knows. But I would bet my house on it happening.

3. Ploki macrumors 68010

riMac 21.5"?
    Am I missing something?

4. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Nope. A typo. We all make them.

5. Ploki macrumors 68010

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And a current iMac will likely never be a future iteration of a MBP, nor a future iteration of itself.

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's the elusive 21.5" retina iMac.

8. RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah, shot down for a typo. You all know what I mean. But if I need to spell it out for some of you then...

Will the future iterations of MBP's have soldered RAM?

9. brig2221 macrumors 6502

Sorry you are getting a hard time with your question, especially being new and all.

As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, no one knows for sure. However, if the Retina MacBook Pro's sell like hot cakes, and the Air's already do, I see no reason why Apple wouldn't continue to solder RAM onto the logic boards and be able to reap the benefits of exhorbitant RAM upgrade charges.

Only way IMHO that Apple changes course in this area is if there is a large enough and loud enough backlash from it's users. I very much doubt this will be the case, but I hope to be proven wrong :D

10. Ploki macrumors 68010

Didn't mean to shoot you down, just thought if there were some new rumors regarding a retina mac springing up... Because in your original post you stated that the latest iMac 21.5" has soldered RAM which is just not true.

I do think that all portables will have soldered RAM, unfortunately, because retina sales are going quite fine, and everybody who needs ram doesn't care about apples disgusting margins on RAM prices and just shells out for the maxed-out version.

Basically, by buying more retinas over cmbps we are telling apple that we don't give a **** about soldered ram.

On the other hand, i appreciated that apple made soldered ram an advantage - it has 2gbit more bandwidth than equally configured cMBP counterpart. At least something good out of it.

11. flipnap macrumors 6502

This is not why they solder the ram. I wish people would read up on soldered RAM and why laptops are designed this way. And yes, MANY other PC laptops have soldered RAM. RAM is solid state and wont need to be "replaced" anymore than a capacitor or any other component. Ive NEVER seen a good stick of RAM just suddenly go bad after a few months (and if it does, apple GIVES you a new computer) And why not just buy the maximum amount of RAM and be set from the first place? Apples price for installed RAM isnt that ridiculous. Plus, you telling me you're going to be upset you cant swap your ram out in two years, but you dont mind that you cant swap your processor or graphics chip.

Seriously, the rmbp is more of an appliance. its not meant to be opened and swapped out and tweaked and have water-cooled CPU units, etc. Why dont you complain that you cant crack open your LED television and swap out the memory modules on that? in five years when your memory isnt large enough anymore I guarantee you'll have already sold the macbook or will be ready for a new one.

/rant

12. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Well, since you asked, yes I would be upset. I have upgraded the RAM myself in every computer I ever owned, either laptop or desktop. In the case of our old Macbook White it was the difference in keeping the laptop another 2+ years after it was on its last legs. $69 upgrade for two more years, not bad vs $1200 for a new one when the old one works perfectly well.

The truth is, this change is good for Apple and only Apple. It forces you to buy more RAM at higher than market value and forces you to upgrade to a new unit because the old one is stuck with whatever memory you bought it with.

I cannot understand how this move by Apple is in any way defensible.

13. RichWatts, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry but RAM does and will fail and normally its no biggy - you can get replacement RAM at a very generous price these day and just slot the replacements right in? I literally do not understand the people who are screaming "WHO CARES!".

If I'm wrong in this assumption please correct me but say you purchase a MBP with soldered RAM and do not wish to take out Apple Care. You've had the machine X amount of time and it is no longer in warranty. The RAM fails and its soldered to the logic board. You need to go to the Apple Store where they will charge A LOT as they need to change the entire logic board. Opposed to just simply swapping bad RAM sticks yourself for a fraction of the price it would cost to do the above?

In addition to this, on the Apple store right now to upgrade to 8GB RAM on the non rentia model would cost an additional £80. But I go onto ebuyer and could get 8GB RAM for half of that price. How can anyone say that isn't ripping off the customer? If Apple decide to solder RAM to the logic boards of all their future products this effectively forces the customer to purchase the maximum RAM spec at the time of purchase. HOW is that acceptable?

This is just another elaborate way of forcing you to stay up to date with Apple's product life cycles. A money making scheme simple as that, in my opinion.

14. flipnap macrumors 6502

i guess you missed my point about not being able to swap out your processor or graphics chip. anyway, if you cant clearly see the reasons why apple needs to use soldered RAM on a unit like the rmbp then you havent done the research on profile logistics. its not a "move", its a logical progression of design that MANY OTHER manufacturers have also chosen to use on their laptops. apple is simply ahead by a few years with their designs. in 2014 when all laptops have soldered RAM youll get the picture. And as ive stated, there are many other more crucial components than RAM that will make a system obsolete that are also soldered in. all these theories about apple conspiring to make you pay extra by soldering ram doesnt make a lick of sense. you wouldnt have a rmbp in its current form if they didnt solder ram.

If you like boxes you can crack open and tinker with than stick with a classic.

15. RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

This is exactly what I predict people will do. In fact I see the pre soldered (retina) or whatever versions being more sought after and rising in value if Apple continue down this road.

Just my opinion though.

16. flipnap macrumors 6502

except soldering RAM in an ultra book isnt exclusive to apple. so i guess most manufacturers are into a money making scam. and im sorry, but ram fails at the same rate any other component will fail. are you upset that your resistors and IC chips are soldered? why not? if they fail, which they do, youre in the same boat. youre not upset the graphics chip is soldered? why not? how come nobodys upset that apple soldered the capacitors?

17. RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you not read my post? Additional £80 for 8GB RAM when I can get the same for half the price? Ringing any bells? RAM has always been upgradable. Call me old fashioned but I literally don't care about a thin product anymore (they're thin enough anyway) I care about functionality and getting more bang for my buck.

18. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

They are only "ripping off the customer" if the customer thinks he's being ripped off. Value is subjective.

If people keep buying computers with soldered RAM like the MBA and rMBP, they're basically indicating they don't care. Why should Apple if that means they're also making more profits? They now sell more RAM BTO upgrades as well as more AppleCare warranties.

If people reacted super negatively and stopped buying their products, I'm sure they would react. They don't because most people don't care and want a MacBook anyway and are willing to pay the price, RAM BTO upgrade and AppleCare included, and find thin laptops to be lighter and to look cooler.

It's no secret: Apple's here to make money. Either you buy their products or you don't. Maybe they'd have more pressure to deliver what the customers ask for if they had competitors who did, but it's not the case. Almost all thin-and-light laptops have soldered RAM as well.

19. flipnap macrumors 6502

i dont get what youre after? if you dont care bout thin then dont buy an ultra book from apple or asus or samsung that uses soldered RAM. buy a classic or some other thicker laptop that you can swap ram on the cheap. you cant go buy a sports car and complain it only has two seats. you go buy an SUV with 6 seats instead. if apple discontinues classic chassis books then youll just be out of luck.

20. RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

This is why I'll be sticking with my 2011 MBP. That is until Apple release an OS that isn't available on my system (because they've replaced Intel chips with their own) or whatever reason who knows?

21. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Actually it's exclusive to Apple. Other manufacturers have never done this in their laptops. They recently started doing it in their Ultrabooks and Netbooks.

Look, I just gave you a concrete, real world example of why it matters to me. Which personally speaking is the only thing that counts. Upgrading my MB White saved me over $1000, and it kept that computer chugging along for another two years.

My MB Pro Classic has 16gb of RAM, it cost me about $80 to upgrade myself. A couple years from now I can make it 32gb for about the same price. A new Macbook will still be around $1800. You might want to double check my math but, I believe that's around $1720 saved.

22. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

and the bill.

I do understand that to soldering the ram in place allows for a slimmer profile than replaceable ram.

Do I think it is a grand conspiracy? No; but it is a somewhat lucrative coincidence.

23. RichWatts thread starter macrumors newbie

That might be because I'm not "after" anything? I am happy with how thin the pre retina MBP is. I am happy with how thin my mid 2011 iMac is. Why do i need a thinner screen?

I am happy that I can remove the optical drive from my MBP and install an additional SSD drive.

As soon as Apple stop me from being able to do the above and force me to upgrade to be able to use their latest and greatest operating system (which may be far down the line granted) I will be annoyed.

24. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

You the man, Rich. Don't let these jackasses get you down for a simple typo. I mean, it's not like you are speaking Ebonics here.

Anyway, yes, Apple wants us to buy our Ram from them. I love Apple products, but they really are dictating Nazis

25. flipnap macrumors 6502

if others have recently started doing it, then its NOT exclusive to apple.

once again, ultrabooks have their ram soldered in. So i guess lenovo, samsung, acer, dell, sony, etc are all dictating nazis who force you to buy ram from them?