Soldered SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ca1289a, Jun 6, 2017.

1. ca1289a macrumors newbie

ca1289a

looking to scoop up the 13" with no fancy touchbar. Does anyone know yet if the SSD is soldered?

I plan to max out the ram and likely upgrade the drive at some point in the future.
    Thanks

2. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

If I remember correctly, the non-touch bar model actually has the SSD not soldered on. However, the proprietary connector means you can only swap it out with other SSD's from non-touchbar MacBook Pro's. These SSD's will eventually show up on eBay and the like, but they'll be extremely costly.

Also, RAM is soldered on across all MBP's

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

It really is best to think of any current MBP as a closed system. Configure the machine to meet your current and projected future needs.

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Yeah, the SSD on the nTB is a proprietary module but it's soldered on the Touch Bar models.

5. sublunar macrumors 6502

Since the 2017 model is just out it's a good idea to wait for the tear downs before confirming internal engineering changes - the assumption that a non touch bar model has slotted SSD only holds for the 2016 model. I haven't seen any compatible third party SSD for these models yet.

6. ca1289a thread starter macrumors newbie

ca1289a

Yeah, that's my plan. Thought I'd reach out to see if the community knew more than I did.