Soldering 1 gig chip on 12" Powerbook logic board

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Oct 5, 2008.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Love my 12" PB 1.5ghz. Running Leopard on it. But the memory cap of 1.25gb with 256gb soldered on to the board (and only one memory slot) bugs me. Especially since this is the same logic board that goes into the 12" iBooks last revision that have 512mb soldered on to their boards. (Their memory cap is 1.5gbs and it does make a difference, especially on the 1.42ghz iBooks).

I just asked Gary Dailey of Daystar if they could solder a 1 gig chip on the board.. seems like a better "upgrade" than overclocking with Leopard's memory demands...

Will let MR know if this can be done. If so, i'm in.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is definitely an interesting project to give a little more life to that old Powerbook.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i would say it is fairly impossible
    you would need a machine to apply the solder, a human is nowhere near precise enough

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure Daystar can do it. ;)

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Why not just stick with Tiger which is more than happy to run with 1.25GB?. I dunno seems like an awful lot to go through just for a RAM upgrade then again that may be your thing

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

it's not impossible but it would be extremely hard. would be a great side project

7. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd say it's a cool project, so long as Daystar doesn't charge too terribly much. The 12" PB's are fantastic machines, imo.

8. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Using Time Machine is a plus. Running Leopard about as fast as Tiger with Dashboard disabled on this powerbook.

We'll see what Gary says.

Might be a better upgrade option than the CPU overclocks they were doing.

9. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

It'd be worth 250USD to me. We'll see.

10. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I want to do this too. Let me know how this works. If not, I may have to sell my mint condition 1.5ghz pb :(

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

$250US for the job? :eek:

12. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Daystar used to charge I think five hundred or more to bump the CPU on powerbooks to like 1.93ghz. But they got too hot.

I think it was like 650 USD to bump the 12" powerbook's CPU to 1.67ghz.

Soldering a new memory chip on it can't be THAT hard...

And it would really make the 12" PB sing.

13. klinux macrumors newbie

Did you hear back?

I was just wondering if you heard back and what they had to say. I'm in almost exactly the same situation and was thinking of contacting them myself, but I decided to do a search first to see if anyone else had the same idea. I'd love to know what their response was.

regards,
    klinux

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It's cool that this thread was brought back. I've always wondered this myself, especially when working on the iBooks. Just soldering on larger capacity memory chips, is that are there is too it? Will the main board accept and see the larger chips?

15. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I remember buying an iBook G4 and taking a 384MB RAM model (128MB Soldered + 256MB Dimm). It was surprising how well the system ran considering.

I often wondered about how difficult it would be to remove the 128MB chip that was soldered to the board and put in a 256 or 512 chip.

Whatever came of the original posters machine? I am curious :)

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Nah, hard, not impossible though.

17. sirhannick macrumors newbie

This is 100% possible and should be done. I have done my share of soldering surface mount stuff and it is not fun or easy at all. And there is a failure rate. However there just are some people out there with hands of "god" that can do it. There are also tools to use which aid the process significantly such as a special attachment to a heat gun and solder paste which is basically glue and then heat activated. Are there any updates on this?