Soldering iphone antenna = worse reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phatcat, Jun 23, 2008.

1. phatcat macrumors regular

I had a failed attempt in opening my iphone. I bent the cover and in the process cut the wifi antenna cable. I resoldered the antenna cable, but wifi is greatly reduced along w/ bluetooth range. Could the solder be affecting signal quality?

I saw on ebay $10 antenna replacement cables. I'll try those as well.

thx.

2. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It might improve it. :cool:

Ok, actually soldering would probably make things worse. Antennas are a mysterious science. Things that should improve them, don't always.

Notice in all FCC documents, Apple always keeps the antenna specs out due to "propriatary information".

3. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

well what can I tell you? sucks for you. You should have never done it in the first place.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would just pay $250 and get the whole thing replaced. What were you thinking? :eek:

5. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Wildcardd, I imagine solder has different properties than the copper antennas. That could be the culprit. We'll see how the replacement antennaes hold up.

My initial goal was to replace the back cover with a different cover. It appears this forum is based on simple Q/A. I probably should have posted on hackintosh.

SFstudent, I hope you're not majoring in Finance. Why replace a 1st gen iphone for $250 when 2nd gen will be out for $199 in about 3 weeks?

I can live w/o wifi or bluetooth for a few weeks longer. BT is the bigger inconvenience.

6. kleo macrumors regular

The shape of sensitive electronic antennas is very important to them receiving the correct frequency at a reasonable level of efficiency. A electrical engineering professor once told me "putting a man on the moon was the easy part. Talking to him while on the moon is the hard part".

Just get an antenna replacement for $20 im sure you will figure something out.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm hoping you don't intend to make a living replacing the back cover of a near useless iPhone; and I'm concerned that all that Mechanical Engineering Education that you've acquired during your last demolition of your iPhone will once again be put to the test on the new 3G iPhone. So, lets see according to my financial calculations you've already spent about $399 plus tax on v1 iPhone, (you'll probably do as I suggested, buy another iPhone at $250, but not share that bit of info with us, yes, I'd be totally embarrassed as well), $199 on a 3G iPhone, $10 for another antenna plus shipping, and plan on getting an extra antenna for that one as well, and throw in one of those cheezy replacement backs, b/c you'll probably jack that one as well; and I'm not sure if Apple or AT&T will allow you to get "another" 3G iPhone at the subsidized $199 price, but then again, you could be "the test" and please post your results, so plan on a non-subsidized 3g iPhone at about $575 plus tax. In fact with the evidence of your Mechanical Engineering Education, I would buy a case of the antenna and a case of the backing for the v1 iPhone and 3G iPhone, just in case you find yourself in this exact same predicament on July 11th, 2008. From a "financial management" point of view, you've got a $399 plus tax "paperweight" so I'd recommend that you stay in school, or get a second job, something other than replacing the backs of iPhones! :eek::D

8. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

If you haven't done so already, change your major to English where you can excel in authoring fiction.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might try stand-up comedy, b/c there are a whole bunch of us laughing our A%$*@-Off! Enjoy your $399 paperweight...:D:p:D

10. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

Phone works fine w/ exception of BT and wifi.

Perhaps English shouldn't be your major since you're having difficulty reading. Stick to homemaking.

11. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

Replacement antenna cable came in today and phone is back to original state.

Solder apparently is not a good fix for a broken cable.

12. dieselboy27 macrumors member

Which antenna did you replace, the long white one or the short one? How did you go about reattaching it? I'm in the same boat as you and just wanted to know what you did. THX

So, I guess that cable is a wifi/bluetooth antenna, and not just wifi.

13. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

yes. The longer one. It's both Bluetooth and wifi. I replaced it. It has a push connector that u can pry off or pull carefully. I used a small flat head screwdriver to help pry it off

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I think you answered the question I was going to ask. I didn't know if the original antenna connection was soldered (hard to see in the "will it blend" video). ;)

Anyway, are you back up to full signal strength? Any pics of the new back? Gotta be a big demand for case mods.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL! Now *that's* funny! His lengthy post had three periods, an exclamation point, two random semicolons, and more assumptions than Bush made to attack Iraq. Looks like you struck a nerve...

16. Cordovad88 macrumors newbie

heh heh

yeah uh ::tugs on collar and looks around nervously:: i kinda had to replace the headjack and ended up cuttin the same blasted wire... heh heh :eek: now, i got the replacement and what not so how did you pull it outta the 4 metal clampy things that are holding it down on the side?

and for all those out there who are tearing on this guy... i had no choice but to do it myself cuz my warranty is void cuz this thing is way jailbroken, hacked and anything else you can imagine... so yeah... thanks for any help!

17. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You could have restored the unit and no one would be able to tell.

18. phatcat thread starter macrumors regular

I left the clamp alone and cut as much of the old antenna cable off.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

why are some of you laughing at the thread starter? he made a mistake, we all do.

hope u find a solution man.