Soliciting friendly opinions on a second Mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heeby, May 2, 2012.

1. heeby, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

heeby macrumors member

I have a 17" MBP for daily use but am thinking of picking up a refurb something as a backup in the event the 17" has issues (too dependent on the internet to wait for service), or possibly for semi full time use with my TV. First I thought MacMini as it is suited to TV use, but have also thought a 13" MBP would do everything the Mini can plus be a standalone portable device should I need it. I have also considered the Air but I tend to keep stuff a loooooonnggg time and upgrade until death and the Air just isn't set up for that...and though I love them I just don't have a real use for one vs a 13" MBP given the trade offs.

I know it is a very vague question but just looking for input from others who have used a second Mac as a TV feeder or back up. Want to keep it at 1000 or less which I can do with any of the 3 options if I choose wisely.

I also don't have time to wait for the imminent refresh as I am going to make the purchase while still in the States visiting...which is fine with me as I have always been satisfied with less than the cutting edge as my needs aren't those of a power user.

2. cperry2 macrumors regular

Sounds like you've answered it honestly. It needs to be ~1000, can't be an air or a mini, and must be a portable mac. Mbp 13.

----------

Granted - if it is exclusively for Internet and TV, etc. - and you don't have critical work that requires an mbp at all times - I would consider an ipad (3) and apple tv. Save a ton of money and gain a distinct feature set. Seriously, I have a hard time reading on my mbp after experiencing instapaper on the new ipad.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why do you say that, its not really any less capable then the Mac Mini or the 13" MBP especially when you stated you're not a power user. Its just not as upgrade-able.

Given your needs and budget, the MBA could be an excellent choice. Personally I think the 13" MBP is probably a better choice if portability is not one of your main requirements (a nice to have but not a must have). Plus the ability to upgrade the ram, and HD is a plus.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Go cheap. $100 or so for a jailbroken ATV2 and put the rest in a bank account to earn interest until you have to replace the 17" you already own for whatever reason.

5. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

It's slower, has no optical drive which is useful in a media-tv device, has less useful space and upgrade ability etc... A lot less capable.

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

A 1000 what? Dollars? Only the mini starts at under $1000 new.

I'd got for the 13" MBP myself.
    Are you looking to pick one up at the Store, or online? You can get some pretty good deals on the Feb 2011 models online or refurbs from Apple. Apple Online Store has the Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5 for $929.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I agree with you: the MBP 13" makes a good media machine. Load up with HDMI cables, adapters, etc. from monoprice and you have something you can use to play DVDs, music, whatever to lots of TVs or other displays. And you have a remote. And if you've got an iPhone it works even better as a remote.

I actually like it better for that purpose than the mini.

And I agree the refurbs at the Apple Store are a good deal.