Solid color laser printer for student/home use...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wangchunggti337, Oct 26, 2010.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I'm finding myself having to print notes and articles more than I used to and I decided it's time to look into a color laser printer. I'm looking for something with modestly priced toner, a relatively small footprint, doesn't require a lot of power, prints double-sided, and that plays nice with mac. Looks like samsung, hp, and brother offer some nice choices, just not sure where to start.

Any ideas?

2. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

i purchased a brother b/w laser last year for a similar purpose (printing lots of notes and research articles) and have been very happy with everything about it... to get wireless network color and duplex makes it a bit pricey so I went with a separate multifunction color injet that I found a great deal one.. not the best to have two printers but it has worked out very well for me...

brother color lasers:
    http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/Color_Laser_Printers/

newegg.com has had some good deals lately

3. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Thanks for the advice. Anyone have experience with a specific model?

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have been using a Samsung CLX-3175Fn colour multifunction for over 1.5 years and it has been working great. However, it does not have the duplexing feature that you are looking for.

5. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as the OP, would love to hear suggestions/recommendations for the same ideal color laser (especially with automatic 2-sided printing).

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I second the Samsung. I bought a CLP-315W and so far it's been very good. However, it does not duplex. You'll pay a decent amount of money for a duplexing color laser printer.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you MUST have duplex AND color, your choices become fewer. You can get duplexing mono lasers reasonably, and you can get non-duplexing color lasers reasonably.

Have a look at the Brother HL-4150cdn also; wired networking, color, automatic duplexing. Comes with full toner carts unlike some competing printers with "starter" cartridges. Watch for sales as it came out in October I think -- In the week after Thanksgiving I picked mine up for a good price. So far it's been a great printer.

8. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

Thanks, I'll research that Brother printer...the full toner cartridges is a definite plus, and the price isn't bad either.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I own two Xerox Phaser duplex printers. They are rock-solid, use genuine PostScript, and are as fast as lightening.

10. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I have the Brother HL-2140, but it's black-and-white and non-duplexing and thus neither of the two things you requested. :D

However, there is a slightly higher, similar-looking model that does duplex. I don't have personal experience with that one, but if it's anything like mine, you may want to look into it.

As others have noted, throwing color into the mix--especially color and duplexing--will make you choices a bit more scarce and higher-priced. If I need color printing, I find that I can do it at my school (50¢/pg, a bit pricey, but their B&W printing is super-cheap and nice in emergencies, and we get $10 credit per semester). Some also buy a separate, usually inkjet, printer for this. I commend you for steering away for inkjets for anything besides low-volume printing (but not so low the cartridges dry up between use :)), but if that describes your color printing, it may be worthwhile.

I should also add that my non-duplexing printer isn't the end of the world: on Windows, there is software duplexing that helps you turn the pages around, but you can fake it on OS X by making presents to print the even pages first, flip them (one of two ways depending on whether I want long- or short-edge binding), and then print the odds. But automatic duplexing would definitely be a lot better, even if those machines tend to be a bit larger.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: with many Brothers, there is a trick you can use to get more life out of the toner. Many of their printers detect toner level by shining some sort of light through a hole in the side of the cartridge; if it makes it through, they warn you of low--and eventually no--toner, even when there can still be a decent amount remaining. Covering this hole with black electrical tape (or really anything) after it warns you of low toner will keep it shushed until you actually notice the toner running out yourself. Search the web for your printer to see if it is one of these--the HL-2140 and MFC-8890DW are two that I know are.