Solid resolution on the 15" uMBP 'loose hinge' issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baggy Spandex, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Has there been any merit to the claims that a visit to the Genius bar will send your MBP back to you with a stiffer lid? I understand that there are countless mentions on this board about the issue, but I just want to know if there's any kind of resolution or "fix" for this.

I absolutely adore my new MBP, coming from a Penryn. The only thing I hate is the loose hinges. It's almost embarrassing when someone else is using your machine and they comment on how annoying or flimsy the lid feels.

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

"I absolutely adore my new MBP, coming from a Penryn..."

What processor is in your new MBP?

3. Baggy Spandex thread starter macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

My apologies if that statement seemed vague. I grew accustomed to referring to the last of the non-unibody MBP's as "Penryn" notebooks. I was unaware that name was still used on the current processors.

Please read as mid-2008 MBP.

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I don't know if it is possible or not, but you may be able to tighten the hinge itself by tightening the screws in the back panel.

I had a loose hinge that would fall down when you held it parallel to the ground, but after I removed and replaced the back panel on my MBP, it became noticeably tighter and the hinge would not fall when I held it parallel to the ground.

5. comedyboy19 macrumors newbie

Verify the screws

Can anyone verify the tightening of the screws idea. I know they take it apart at ifixit but they show the hinge area. I would love to know if its as simple as tightening some screws. Does the 15" has the same hinge hardware as the 13" and 17"

Thanks!

6. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Hmm. I keep hearing about this loose hinge issue. I don't have it on my 13", but i'm guessing its only a 15" thing? I'm sure its loose screws.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

There is a reason that name is still being used ;)

I'd leave well enough alone or - if you are under warranty - let Apple try to resolve your issue. If you don't like the hinge tension you will hate the stripped screws.