Solid State Drive Issue on Macbook pro mid 2012 extremely slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xuanphucn, Dec 7, 2014.

1. xuanphucn macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Corsair Force LS solid state drive and installed it on my laptop. The hard drive is extremely slow and I cant even install Yosemite on it. It's stuck at the installation screen and kept showing the remaining wait time is 12 mins. I left it over night but it's still stuck there. I thought the hard drive was defective so I returned and bought a Kingston ssd. I put it back in and have the same issue. I also bought the Hard Drive Caddy tray to replace the optical drive with the ssd. The hard drive works like charm when I swapped it with the optical drive. I was able to install Yosemite on it and works like charm. However, When I put it back to the hard drive slot. I was able to boot into Yosemite but It is extremely slow. I called apple and they said that they don't support that. It is so weird. I don't know what to do now

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

2. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Maybe it has something to do with the new security measures on Yosemite?

3. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

i searched every where but couldn't find anything like that on the internet:confused:

4. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

There are some threads on the forum concerning problems with SSD drives and Yosemite. It has something to do with trim. Did you run a trim enabler on your spinner?

5. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't enable it at first. it didn't work either:confused:

6. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Truly strange, I hope someone else can bring some more insights...

7. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

i even ran the diagnostic test. It couldn't find the issue. But when I put it in the caddy tray. It works like charm:(

8. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

If you really put in two different SSD's there must be something wrong with the connecting cable or you are hitting on some security measures of Yosemite. Yosemite does not like SSD drives from non apple suppliers. Good news is that people also were unable to boot but there's a way around it so that it does work :) When they're on I'm sure they will help you out. Macrumors is full of people eager to help :)

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You either damaged the drive cable, or are not fully reinserting it into the connector on the logic board (most likely the former.)

Put the original drive back in. If the problem persists, you probably damaged the cable and will need to get a new one. Check ifixit.com for the correct Apple part number, and then buy that part number from eBay.

Also, Yosemite not booting would be caused by a modified kext, required for boot, being detected. Yosemite by default will block modified kexts from loading. The latest trim enabler is able to work around this, so that it can modify the necessary kext to get trim support enabled for non-Apple SSDs (fwiw, there's a command you can type as root to also do the same trick "manually" that the Trim enabler does for you, to disable the additional kext signing security in Yosemite), but since your problem is happening simply during Yosemite install, a modified kext is not being encountered, so that's not your problem. Most likely a damaged drive cable (or improperly seated cable.)

10. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

so if the drive cable is damaged, how come my old hdd is still working just fine. I've been switching back and forth more than 10 times so I don't think the drive cable wasn't fully reinserted. Idk :(

11. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I am having the exact problem with my SSD since the Yosemite full version or earlier.

I can't install anything on it well it's in the drive bay. The installation just keeps restarting the timer over after going all the way down...

still haven't figured it out.

12. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I was able to do that in mac os x tho. Because I remember buying a ssd few months ago to test mac os x. I can't install windows on it either unless its in the drive bay.

13. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

was it solved?

14. xuanphucn thread starter macrumors newbie

nope:confused:

15. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I've mailed the thread to Weaselboy
    he knows a lot about SSDs in mac

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

From your original description, it does sound like a bad cable, and that is fairly common on these.

Does the new SSD work okay in the optical bay?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Swap the drives, is the old hard drive slow now? As Weasleboy recommends, put the SSD in place of the optical drive and see if the performance woes continue.

I wonder if the hard drive works fine in its original spot, could it be a bad SSD drive.

18. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

do not think it's a bad SSD
    He tried two different onces

19. caralosdbernard macrumors newbie

caralosdbernard

I have nothing to say regarding these issue. But!. Lets take it from the top. It is good that you change that corsair. Those are good for windows. but for macs, I have clients that have the same issue. Kingston SSD are nice. also the same issue. Most of these SSD have internal softwares partitions that works perfect for windows. If you still have these Kingston, connect these to a pc(windows) and check if there are partitions. delete the hard drive in fat32, and connect it to the mac and run the erase in MacOS Extended journaled. then create 1 partition. and try again. these is a most. and i do it on all SSD, with the exceptions of the OWC and samsung Pro models. OR, use the disk utility an perform and 0 erase. take 12 to 15 hours, but make the trick. In our show, be work with Crusial models, like mx100 and mx 550 that have 0 problems on main drive. but slow operations on the caddy (owc data doubler)

Note. the SSD in the caddy will NOT work with 6gbxs. The only computer that in my test so far are in the 2012 mac mini. The operation are slow, and have random issues. USE only native 3gbxs ones for the caddy.

There are macs, that have disable the 6gbxs on the main drive. Please check about your mac in, system reports, SATA/SATA express and double check if you can work with 6gbs link and negotiated link speeds. If your mac mid 2012 does not have that in the main drive, update the EFI, there is a link for it that i do not have since i am on the road. Most SSD even that have complete compatibility on these, they are not. at least on mac computers. It is better to go 6gbxs on the main drive and 3gxs on the caddy.

Any questions, let me know

20. mohawkapple macrumors member

mohawkapple

How does one enable trim? I just put a ssd in my bmp and been hearing a lot about this trim thing! I just don't want to screw up my mbp. thanks for any help :)

21. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

it has something to do with an app called trim enabler
    You lose some security in yosemite though

22. mohawkapple macrumors member

mohawkapple

So if i download this trim app I'll lose some security your saying? Thanks for the reply btw!

23. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

you're welcome
    yosemite does not support trim on non mac SSD drives, except for angel bird which uses a hack
    So you have 2 options:
    1. no trim thus relying on garbage collection
    2. using a tool as trim enabler
    Trim enabler has to take out a yose security feature to be able to perform
    If used one must disable Trim enabler before performing OS upgrades