solid state drive(ssd) to buy to my late mbp 2,53

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by couto27, Feb 21, 2009.

1. couto27 macrumors 6502

hi, im interested to install a ssdrive myself, it will be my first upgrade on a mbp.
    i dont want to spend all my money in apple store, so i decide to buy a ssdrive on ebay where they are starting to get cheap for europe.
    i read somewhere that i only lose the guarantee of the harddrive , not the all mbp if i do the instalacion myself. is that true????

the reason im doing the update is just because i want everything fast.
    1-size is not important but i think 80gb is not much
    2-price is a factor
    3-faster ssd is not the most important
    4-realible and durability is also important
    5-i dont use windows
    6-normal use internet and a few games

i need your advice for the following ssdrive to chose.

1-gskill ...... 128gb...... sata 2 ... 283£
    2-ocz ...... 120gb...... sata 2 ... 250£
    3-gskill titan...... 128gb....... sata 2 ... 315 £
    4-intel x25-m....... 80gb....... sata2 ... 376£
    5-samsung ???

also if you no better prices in europe please i apreciate the information
    i think the prices of ssd will not drop a lot in the future maybe 100£ , but no more than that.
    you can look at the price of a 320gb 7200rpm. close

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Just a personal opinion; If price is an issue, then wait a couple months, because prices on these drop quite a lot regularly, and probably by the end of the year, you will get a 250 GB SSD for the prices you listed above.
    If I'd be you, I'd go with either the Intel or a Samsung, as the others you listed use the defective controller (the name escapes my head right now). But the Samsung ones are of high quality, as even Apple uses them, and I don't think they would offer them if they'd be bad. In fact the new 256 GB Samsung should kill the Intel SSD, which is currently the best speed wise. Personally, I'd say the Samsung would be most reliable, but not the fastest.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm not sure what HDD prices are like in Europe, but in the US 320GB 7200 drives are not close at all to those prices. You can get one for $50 after rebate from Zip Zoom Fly or $60 from NewEgg. It'll be a while before you see a good SSD at that price.