Solid State Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erickufrin, Jul 13, 2009.

1. erickufrin macrumors newbie

Does the speed of the Apple factory installed SDD's compare well with aftermarket drives?

Does anyone know the make/model number of the 256gb SSD drive in the new macbook pro's?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. erickufrin thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

In a nutshell: They're not the best, but they're not the worst. Middle of the road.

Intel X-25 is pretty much the king of speed from what I've read.

The 256SSD is a Samsung unit if I remember right. It's a pretty solid performer, but not "the best".

4. olivemac macrumors newbie

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The current crop, based on geekbench benchmarks from users that have the Apple SSD, show to actually be the worst. They get wiped up by middle road SSDs like the Vertex and clobbered by elite SSDs like the Intel X-25.

6. Lounge Deluxe macrumors regular

What's middle (of the) road about the Vertex? Certainly not its performance.

But the OP is better off buying a OCZ Vertex or Intel X25M instead of Apple's upgrade option when it comes to price and performance, that's for sure.

7. erickufrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! You just saved me $720!

I think I will get the regular hard drive for now and then maybe swap out for a SSD around christmas.... :rolleyes:

8. antskip macrumors regular

the present crop of SSD's with the Samsung driver like the OCZ Summit are very fine and make a huge difference to any computer. you don't need to wait till christmas to experience the difference for a reasonable price. on the other hand, the longer you wait the cheaper and better the technology should be, just as for IT technology in general. but for those who can't wait, you can have it now. moving to a good SSD is the best upgrade you can make. :)

9. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Definately agree there! Just ordered an intel X25-E 64GB SSD from newegg. Can't wait to have the capability to launch over 100 applications instantaneously :D

10. vant macrumors 65816

I'd stay away from OCZ based on the simple fact that they like contributing to marketing schemes like read/write speeds. They've already been shown to sacrifice real world performance for better marketing.

11. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I would not stay away from OCZ completely... depends what your SSD needs are.

If...

You prioritize storage over performance go OCZ Vertex.

You prioritize performance over storage go Intel X25 M or E series.

12. antskip macrumors regular

Have you actually used a OCZ SSD? I have been using a OCZ Summit for 3 weeks now after using a 7200rpm HDD and it is light and day. It is wonderful. For only 3X the cost of a 7200rpm drive, I have a computer that is barely recognizable from the same machine before fitting the SSD. Silent, almost instantaneous, cool. What more can one want?:):)

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

If you prioritize storage over performance, why bother with an SSD?

14. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Ah right.

Revamped conditional!

If you want SSD and...

Prioritize performance go with intel X25 series drives.

Prioritize storage over performance then go with OCZ vertex (256Gb for same price as intel's 64GB - 160GB)

If you prioritize storage and don't necessarily want a SSD then go with a HDD!!!!!! Get the scorpio blue 500GB!

15. darkpila macrumors newbie

SSD on white

Since MBP 13.3" arrived me last week I renovated my Core 2 Duo white (GMA950) MB to give it to my lovely sister.

I changed topcase with keyboard and touchpad (it breaks as soon as you begin to close the lid), polished all case, changed battery and power adapter (damn magsafes they die sooo fast), put macstyles' stickers on display case and, at least I swapped its 320 samsung HD with a Patriot Memory WARP 64 GB SSD.

Wow a new machine. It doesn't seem a three years old notebook! It's soo fast. Incredibly Mac OSX boots up to desktop (autologin active) in no more than 9 seconds. Amazing.

SSD are very fast, but I need space on my notebook so I put 320 HD on my MBP.

Andrea

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

Your three year old notebook isn't booting twice as fast as my uMBP. :/

17. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Do they make a SSD drive that will fit older white iMac? Thanks.

18. lavinci macrumors 6502

SSD are fast but the price is so high compared to more storage. I would highly suggest intel aftermarket SSDs.

19. antskip macrumors regular

fast? yes they are - to the point where every activity is instantaneous as well as silent (only waits are determined by internet speed). the term "fast" becomes meaningless when things act immediately. so if you think it's too expensive to make your computer silent, instantaneous and cool for 3 times the price of a new HDD, then yes, wait. but there is absolutely no other upgrade more worth-while, more devastating in its multi-dimensional array of changes to how any given computer performs than upgrading from a spinning, vibrating, hot, HDD to a contemporary SSD. they will of course get better, but they are wonderful and worthwhile right now. the impact is akin to previous generational revolutions like the change from a CRT to a LCD, or a floppy drive to a HDD...:):)